Tell the Truth

Rose looked in the direction of the voice to be met by the grey eyes of Regulus Black.

The boy removed his coat and shook some water out of his hair. It had been raining all day, no sign of stopping. For once his hair looked untidy, it was down, she could really see how much it had grown when it was not pulled back and the moisture of the rain made it appear even curlier. He looked almost like a girl.

"Would you like to come eat with me in the great hall?"

The boy asked as if no time had passed since the last time they had done so.

"Yeah. Of course."

So Rose answered the same way.

If it had been anyone else they may have started the meal with an explanation, but Regulus simply ate his dinner as if nothing was wrong. As if this wasn't the first time they'd spoken in months.

"What are you doing here, Regulus?"

"You wanted to spend Christmas here, I figured you probably would."

Not exactly the answer she was looking for.

"Okay...how are you here though?"

"I asked mother if since the Christmas holidays were over I could return early to get a head start on my studies. She agreed."

He answered her questions without looking at her. And in a dull voice that made Rose uneasy.

"They are always too busy being angry at Sirius to notice me around this time anyway." He continued. Voice unchanging.

Rose nodded.

"So...what now?" She asked. Looking up to met his eyes. Someone could spend forever trying to understand what was going on behind them.

"I'll do whatever you like. Even participant in your mischief."

He said then continued eating, Rose sat back, a bit confused and a bit conflicted, but ultimately her curiosity got the better of her.

"I know just what I want to do."

Rose said as the sounds of rain hitting the castle echoing through the practically empty great hall.

Now the sounds of glass vials clinking together could be heard even over the rain as Rose rummaged through the vacant potions classroom. Searching through potions that had been locked away, lucky for her Remus knew how to get to them and thus, now she knew.

"Do you break into classrooms often?"

"I wouldn't say often...more...as needed."

"Right. What exactly do you need now?"

"This." Rose said as the vial she was looking for came into view. It was small and curved, a dark green color with a golden top, the contents as clear as water. She grabbed it and showed it to Regulus.

"Truth Serum." She said with a cheeky smile

"Veritaserum" He said without one.

"It's said that just a few drops can have you sharing your darkest secrets so—"

Rose opened the cap and carefully placed one drop on her finger before placing the finger in her mouth.

"One drop should make this night a bit more interesting."

Regulus' eyes grew wide at her actions. Before she placed the vial in his hands.

"Your turn."

"It doesn't work if you know you've taken it."