Little Moth

t.w. mentions of blood

Rose waited awake for Regulus to return that night, and every night thereafter for a week.

On the seventh night, when Regulus returned he'd stumbled to the bed, it was dark, and he still wore his Death Eater cloak and mask.

With a metallic clamour, the mask hit the floor. Regulus kicked it under the bed.

When Rose finally saw his face through the shadow light, she noticed he had dried blood against the corner of his mouth, his own blood no doubt, and there was soot smeared across his face.

"You can't keep doing this. Waiting up for me." He said, his voice was low and flat.

"You can't keep doing this." She countered as she stood from her spot on their bed and made her way to him. He pushed her grasp away.

"Don't touch me." He said. It had sounded harsh, but she knew it wasn't really meant that way.

"Okay." She agreed, raising her arms and backing away.

"But." She started, he looked back at her through the hair that had fallen into his face, it was also dirty, caked in what looked to be blood and ash.

"Grab the cloak. I'm getting the prefect key. You're gonna have a bath." She whispered, he didn't debate with her on the idea, grabbing the invisibility cloak without saying a word.

Rose delicately opened Ode's bedside drawer, careful not to wake her roommates sleeping nearby, she then grabbed the book she'd been reading and joined Regulus under the cloak.

The smell of smoke and a sickly sweet metallic scent clung to his clothes.

What did he do?

They made their way to prefect bath with ease. Regulus stared straight ahead the entire time without making a peek.

Once they arrived, Rose unlocked the door and entered the room, moonlight beamed through a large and looming strained glass window down onto them.

Rose shut the door, locking it behind her before they shrugged off the invisibility cloak.

Regulus immediately walked over to the tub, he turned on the tap and allowed hot water to fill it, steam rose off the cold stone in thick opaque clouds.

"You think it's hot enough, Reg?" Rose joked as she joined him by the marble bath.

She ran a hand under the water, yanking it away as the water burned her. She instantly reached out to turn on the cold water, but Regulus placed a hand atop of hers.

"Leave it." He said, his despondent tone leaving no room for discussion.

Rose shut off the tap as the water level reached an adequate height.

"Do you need any help?" She asked, trying to be helpful.

"Do I look like a child, Rose?" He asked, once again, harshly.

And she once again, overlooked it.

"You look like you may need help. That's all." She said firmly.

He scoffed, then began removing his robes. Rose turned away.

"You've seen every part of me, Evans." Regulus said, his voice held the same monotonous pitch it had since he arrived.

"I've got no reason to see you right now. I'm trying to give you privacy." She said, and he let out a sharp breath as he entered the water. She could smell the steam, she could feel the stream as it materialised as water droplets along her skin.