Chapter 30

"Don't we all are museums of fears?"
____________________________________

Erik was back and ready to attend to his duties. Although, he had been hesitant to leave his post , I could see that the task I had assigned him to was of his predilection. He liked training the recruits, introducing them into the mafia lifestyle. God... It sounds like a stupid magazine headline and it's not.

It wasn't. Never will be. I'm not saying it isn't to my liking but you have to have the stomach and the guts to do so. This delicacy and clean hierarchy which movies and books portray of the mafia are twisted lies. There's no clean in mafia. Everything and everyone is dirty. Betrayals, murders, deaths, rapes, torture and threats are the six things that shape it all.

You won't see educated people nor people with manners meddling with such a lifestyle. Take it from me who hadn't had the chance to even finish high-school. The only knowledge you need to have is how to survive, whatever it takes.

Leaning on the desk with my arms resting on the sides of it, I stood up. I had been informed of Emiliano's new training methods which contained on hand 'studying'. He wasn't wrong. He knew the ropes better than Erik and his fighting skills are excellent. My only doubts were with the relationship between him and Diana. They actually might kill each other if caught up in the moment.

Sighing, I phoned a friend of mine working at the hospital to send some nurses and doctors over there. I was going to personally fund his new research program in return.

They arrived after some minutes and I left my office to go witness their state by myself. Most of the recruits had only a fee scratches and bruises. Two or three suffered from more deep wounds. And last entering the mansion, him and Diana were soaked in blood.

I couldn't explain why, but my heart skipped a beat at the sight of his bloody chest and the painful scar lying underneath his red soaked shirt. With one hand he was applying pressure to the wound, causing the bleeding to slow down. Diana's sliced hand stained with blood the whole of her shirt as she held it close to her body. She-

But I couldn't concentrate on Diana. My eyes snapping repeatedly over to him, spotting the unsettling details that gave away his weakened state. His chest was moving up and down and his breathing was getting heavier, slower. I was just about to move from my position in the centre of the lobby to call a nurse for him but one of them came before I did so guiding him to one of the healing rooms where they had set up in.

An exhale of relief made Erik throw a questioning glance at me which I completely ignored. Turning around to look at the other busy side of the lobby, I saw a frantic Alfred preparing the event of the casino's anniversary. The theme I had chosen with him for this year was the 7 deadly sins. Envy, lust, greed, pride, wrath, sloth and gluttony. Ace's clients seemed to have at least one of those if not all.

I, for me,personally had chosen the sin of greed which my dress was showcasing too.

Having realised I had been standing for a fair amount of time, I decided to head to Alfred and distract myself with some preparations until the doctors informed that h-, my recruits were fine.

"Miss Kingsley." Alfred greeted me with a smile. He loved working on this events. Last year he confessed they were indeed his favourite tasks of the whole year.

Behind him a worker was currying a rather big golden dollar sign to load it to the truck. "You went off again I see. As always impressing me." I smiled back, appreciating the work he'd put in to make this as perfect as possible.