Chapter 50

"I think we deserved a soft epilogue,
my love. We have suffered enough."
_____________________________

*Valencia's POV*
I needed that night alone after the adventurous  past weeks we have had. I needed some time to think, to relax, to rest, to finally breathe. I let my chest fall as I exhaled calmly sipping on the glass of red wine I had in my hand. The sweet taste of it warming my throat and blessing my tongue as I batted my eyelashes to the midnight sky. The blissful silence that dominates in 2 AM making me feel safe, heard.

Emiliano had gone out with Devon, a friend of his and fellow assassin he had told me. I wasn't jealous that they would go out alone probably even clubbing. I knew Emiliano and I knew me. And I knew that after what we have been through our bond was trust worthy enough for a single night out. Our bond... I thought to myself not believing it. I loved him.

I looked at the sky, loosing myself in the shine of the stars and letting my brain roar on waves of thoughts. But one of those questions made my stomach stiffen. What else?

What else? I questioned again. What else for the future? What else for the months about to come? Or even the years? Could we make this work in a world where beauty is envied and love is ruined? I loved him but I didn't know the future. I loved him but I could have never read the cards for our future.

I didn't expect this, I exhaled frustrated. I-I didn't think I was worthy of being loved. After all I've done. But it happened, and it freed me.

I couldn't tell Emiliano the whole truth about my emotions. I wasn't still that comfortable with saying I love you but I tried. Even though, I couldn't word my emotions, they existed and they were so deep. So deep only for him. Truth is he freed me. He freed me from a prison I didn't even know I was trapped in. The time he comforted me after my panic attack in the gym and kissed my hair, I felt like for the first time after my parents died I wasn't purely alone. That I had someone, even a glimpse of someone, who didn't hate me or wanted only to fuck me. I felt seen. I felt understood.

A tear slipped down my cheek and I wiped it away gently, smiling. I wasn't alone.

"You hear that mom and dad?" I looked at the sky and talked to the stars who listen and to those who are hidden behind their shine. "I'm not alone anymore."

I still talked to them. After all these years, they were the only part of my past I hadn't erased. The only part I wanted to feel connected to. And it still hurt. And I still missed them. And I wondered what would they think of their little girl killing people and dealing drugs? 

A soft breeze came in response and I smiled at the sweet touch of it against my neck sending chills down my spine. "I miss you." Was all I said before averting my gaze from the stars and downing the remaining wine in the glass.

Turning around to move back in the bedroom from the balcony, I saw him leaning against the balcony's doorframe and looking at me with a joy in his eyes that could kill. "Hey." I smiled tiredly at him.

"Hey." He said back smirking with his hands crossed over his chest.

"How was your night?"

"Terrible." He blurred out and I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Spend all the night thinking about you. Devon got angry at me for gazing out."

"And this is my fault?" I smirked at him, pulling the silky robe closer to my body. His eyes raked over my bare legs which were only in silky black shorts.

"It is. And while we were out I found of a way to punish you for that telephone incident. Devon was quite helpful about it." My eyes widened and I was intrigued. Every inch of fatigue leaking away from my body as I examined his face reading for any hints.