Chapter 31

"They want to bring out the best of you but refuse to accept the worst of you."
____________________________________

*Emiliano*

I rushed up the stairs holding her close to my chest. Always looking around for any prying eyes that might see us. I knew she wouldn't like being seen in such a weak state and I respected it.

Her breathing had gotten slower, weaker and my heartbeat raced at the thought of not making in time. I felt this urge to protect her even though if we're being honest, I would need her protection if anything went downhill with the plan.

Slamming the door open, I headed towards my bed and placed her gently on it, cautiously resting her head on the pillow. Moving to close the door and lock it, I once again heard the trouble she had breathing. Touching her neck to feel her heartbeat, my eyes widened. It was weak and slow too. Her eyes depicted exhaustion and her growling stomach gave away that she hadn't eaten.

And the guilt pooled again inside my stomach. That man must have broken her for his comparison to her to upset her like that. God, I was so stupid to voice that.

Picking her up, I jogged to the shower and placed us both underneath, turning on the water. She gasped awakening and I exhaled sharply in relief faintly smiling. Immediately turning off the water, I ran my hands through her hair pulling them away from her face.

Her hands gripped the fabric of my shirt making me wince in pain. My wound roaring underneath but it didn't matter as I felt her pulling me closer and slamming her head against my chest.

"I'm here. I'm here, bellisima." I whispered soothing her down, relieved to hear her breathing evening.

"I'm sorry." I meant it. I meant it. And I beat myself for being the reason Valencia was in that state. Wrapping my arms around her, one around her waist and one on the back of her head, I pushed her closer. She was cold and her pale skin contrasted my tanned one.

Pulling away she unleashed my shirt and stepped back, looking at me with exhausted eyes. "You don't know. You couldn't know. So don't mention him." Her voice slightly broke at 'him', "Never." She said.

I nodded. She pulled herself together and stepped outside the shower. Her leggings and sports bra sticking on her body and I couldn't help but admire how pretty and sexy she looked even exhausted.

"You need to eat." I followed behind her. "And sleep."

"I didn't say you were forgiven by the way." She added and that made me halt. My jaw clenched. She turned to look at me, slightly amused. The weight of her gaze was tangible, like the knife that sliced my chest open.

"How many times do you think a heart can break Emiliano?" She asked and I was taken aback by the context of the question. Was it a trap? I didn't know.

"Is this another wicked game of yours belissima?"

"Answer me." She ordered crossing her arms over her chest and my eyes momentarily snapped to her exposed breast.

"Once." I said, remembering the time mine did. When my world shattered. The memory of my stepfather beating my mother to death because he thought she had cheated on him. That alcoholic bastard. My eyes flew to the floor not bearing to look at her.

"Mhm" She hummed. "Hurts like a bitch, doesn't it?" I heard her footsteps approaching. Raising my head, I met her eyes, a distance of two feet separating us. "Now imagine me comparing you to the person who broke it?"

My stepfather. I was nothing like him. He was a monster. An alcoholic bastard who didn't care about anyone but himself. But then again neither did I. My gaze became more intense and she noticed the shift in it.

"Makes you wonder. Eats you alive. The fear of becoming like them." She traced every inch of my face. "We are all in the same game, at different levels, dealing with different demons." She ran a hand through her hair, getting the water out the of them.

"I liked what you did with the recruits." She changed the subject. "I think I should let you in charge there for a little while."

"You're only amused because I almost got killed." I stated and she bit her lower lip smirking.

"Maybe." She hummed, taking another step closer. "But you deserved it." She placed her hands on my torso over the fabric beneath of which my wound lied. My jaw tensed at the itching pain growing under her touch.

And then she squeezed a bit and I flinched in pain. My hands gripping her biceps to removed her hands off my torso. Her nails threatening to slice the wound open once again.

"Did anybody see you when you carried me up here?" She asked and I groaned slightly as I nodded negatively. "Good." She retreated her hands from my wound and I almost gasped in relief not being able to handle another second of the painful pressure of her hands on the forming scar.

"Pity, all those tattoos of yours ruined by one single movement of a knife." She traced the outline of them with here eyes as if she could see through the shirt.

She was crazy. She was merciless. Nor hesitating to unleash any kind of pain upon me. She was dangerous. And she drove me nuts. I craved her for all the wrongs reasons. Like the moon craving the sun. We are as dangerous together as an eclipse is.

And every time her eyes raked over my battle exhausted figure, something in me burned.

"You're silent." She noticed, her eyes looking up to me because of the height difference.

"I didn't think you'd want me to talk until you're finished." I locked eyes with her. My gaze spitting flames which made her cheeks slightly redden.

She cleared her throat and turned around to walk towards the door.

"Think you can make it to the door?" I teased only to be met with her middle finger which triggered a chuckle.

Opening the door, before she disappeared behind it she looked at one last time and smiled faintly, "Thank you." She said and I was a little bit surprised at her words but the shimmering gratitude in her eyes stirred a feeling inside of me.

What was this woman doing to me? Why do I feel
like that?

"You're welcome, amore." I replied and she chuckled at the nickname which made me furrow my eyebrows.

"I prefer tesoro. It suits me better, love." She winked and shut the door before I could say something.

She searched them up. I smirked at myself.

Tesoro. Indeed it suit her. She was a treasure. One I would like to cherish all night long, worshipping the richness of her body.

Hope you liked the chapter!
Valencia is forgiving but not forgetting... And that memory of hers will haunt her.
Let's see what will happen between those two deadly souls ;)

Love, Lexi