Chapter 1- Cookies

Chapter 1

Anabella Shay unbuckled her two-year-old daughter from the car seat in the back of her car. LA, the last place she would have thought to return to, except they had offered her a job, so she had taken it. They were grocery shopping at Target today.

She lifted Sofia out of the car seat and set her on her feet. Holding Sofia's hand they walked into the store, and Ana picked her up and put her in the buggy.

"Mama. Cookies," Sofia said with a small smile. Her dark hair and blue eyes were a constant reminder to Anabella.

"We will get cookies but they are for after dinner," Ana warned and guided the buggy towards the aisle with the cookies.

~~~*

"Dad, we need cookies for dance class tomorrow. We are having a party," Kira said to Joey Mcintyre.

"Alright Kirbear," Joey said to his daughter. They headed for the aisle with the cookies.

"What kind of cookies Kirbear?" he asked as they got into the aisle.

"Something without nuts, Nyla is allergic, remember?" she asked him. Yes, he remembered, his friend Jordan also had a girl about Kira's age, but a year younger. And Nyla reminded him all the time she was allergic to nuts. He was sure it was because her mom, Jordan's wife, Jennifer, was always telling her to remind people, so she didn't get sick.

"Yes I remember, so chocolate chip? or sugar cookies?" he asked her.

"Sugar Cookies. Everyone loves those," Kira replied, once they reached the cookies.

It was then that Joey heard the voice he thought had long since been gone from LA.

"Okay baby pie, Chippy Chip Cookies?" Ana asked Sofia.

"Chippy Chip!" Sofia said excitedly. Chocolate Chip was her favorite.

Joe glanced down the aisle to her. Ana... with a beautiful little girl in her buggy.

Ana reached for the box of Chocolate Chip cookies to put it in the cart.

"Just a minute Kirbear," Joey said as Kira was getting the Sugar Cookies.

"Sure Dad," Kira replied.

Joey walked over to Anabella," Ana?" Joey said surprised to see her.

Ana looked up startled," Joe...Hi," she said softly.

"When did you come back to LA?" he asked her.

" I've only been living here a couple of weeks now," Ana replied quietly.

"I had no idea you were back," Joe said honestly.

"I didn't tell anyone. I moved back due to work. How have you been?" she asked him.

"Um, good," he said, glancing back at Kira, who was still scanning the shelves, trying not to be nosy about this woman her dad was talking to.

Ana had left for a reason because falling in love hadn't been an option for her. It still wasn't one as long as Joe was married.

"I heard you moved to New York," Ana said.

"For a little while yes. Well two years, but then moved back here recently probably about a month ago," Joe answered.

"Weren't you working out in New York, though?" she asked.

"I was, some theater work..." he said.

"Theater seems fitting for you," Ana told him.

"Mommy. Nother Chippy Chip," Sofia said from the buggy.

"One box is enough missy," Ana said tickling her. Sofia giggled.

"She's adorable. Your husband must be proud," Joe said.

Ana looked up at Joe," I'm single. She's two," she said to him, letting him know who Sofia belonged to without saying the words out loud.

"She's.... mine?" he whispered, softly, gazing at this little girl's baby blues.

"Yes," Ana said softly, it was barely audible. She didn't know what to say and knew that she couldn't say much in front of his daughter, who was only a few feet from them.

"Here let me give you my number, we can have coffee and catch up," he said quietly.

"Okay..." she said and accepted it before they parted and Joe went back to Kira.

~~~*

"Alright. What else do we have on our list of groceries Dad?" Kira asked as they walked down the aisle.

"Stuff to make tacos. It's Taco Tuesday after all," Joe said with a bright smile.

"YES! I love Taco Tuesday!!" she said excitedly.

They were in the Mexican food aisle, and Joey was getting tortillas and taco shells. To make both hard and soft tacos.

"Dad, who was that lady you were talking to?" Kira finally asked," It was like she knew you."

"We used to work together last time we lived in LA," he said.

"Oh," Kira said, not entirely convinced, but didn't press it. She grabbed a jar of salsa to put in their buggy.

"Here are our shells!" joe said, grabbing two boxes that had both soft and hard shells in it.

" I want to make guacamole, so we need to hit the produce aisle too," Kira said, getting the minute rice packets and can of beans to make sides.

"Okay baby girl..." he smiled and they headed over there.

Kira found the ingredients to make the guacamole. She got a couple of tomatoes too. " Ooh we need sour cream," she said.

"Oh yes! definitely need that!" joe agreed.

They picked the sour cream and some shredded cheese. " We need a case of water too," Joe said.

"Okay, I think that's a couple of rows back.." Kira smiled.

"Alright," Joe said turning the buggy around and heading for the aisle where the drinking water was kept. When they reached it, he stopped to pick up a case and put it under the buggy. " What else do we need?" he asked.

"Um, mom's tea!" She said reading off her list.

"Oki Dokie," he said and they headed for the coffee/tea aisle. Joe stopped to get coffee while Kira was getting the tea.

<3 <3 <3

Finally got an update. New Story :).