Epilogue

It has been one of the greatest and most difficult years of my life. I learned that everything is temporary. moment. feeling. people. flowers. I learned  love is about giving everything and letting it hurt. I learned vulnerability is always the right choice because it's easy to be cold in a world that makes it so very difficult to remain soft. I learned all things come in two.

Life and death. Pain and joy. salt and sugar. Me and him. It is the balance of the universe. It has been the years of hurting but living so good. making friends out of strangers. Learning mint chocolate chip ice cream will fix everything and for the pains it can't be there will always be my mother's arms. We must learn to focus on warm energy. Always. Soak our limbs in it and become better lovers to the world for if we can't learn to be kinder to each other how will we ever learn to be kinder to the most desperate parts of ourselves.

"I prepared myself, I tried so hard. You know that don't you? I tried harder than you could ever imagine. And now here I am meeting you for coffee to tell you that I'm trying my best just to forget everything. Every piece of you, the way you smell, the feel of your skin. I can still feel you. I think I always will. But maybe not anymore I doubt it. I found someone, so I'm done I really am and I hope you are too I hope that life is wonderful for you I hope that all those dreams you told me about come true."

"You played me"I say tears glistening in my eyes "and I think the only thing that's sadder is that I let you" I brush my hair out of my eyes and look at him, finally seeing how bad I tried so hard to look past.

out of eight billion people in the world I had to fall for the heart that didn't beat the same way mine did.

The truth is that the more intimately you know someone, the more clearly you see the flaws. That's just the way it is. This is why marriages fail, why children are abandoned, why friendships don't last. You might think you love someone until you see the way they act when they're out of money or under pressure or hungry for goodness sake's. Love is something different love is choosing to serve someone and be with someone in spite their filthy heart. Love is patient and kind, love is deliberate. Love is hard. Love is pain and sacrifice, it's seeing the darkness in another person and defying the impulse to jump ship.

I will not apologize for choosing myself this time. Self love is the chapter that's I've always wanted to write.