I Remember That Day Well...

~ Flashback ~

She remembered that day well. Not much was happy. The world was divided. But, that didn't matter. The room was at peace. The moment was peaceful, and the strange feeling of safety was able to warm her.

"Ugh... Uuugh..." The girl groaned as her head rang. She felt as if he was just hit with a baseball bat or something of the sort.

"Oh, thank goodness. You're awake at last!" Chimed a male voice as the girl sat up, her head still ringing loudly and her vision blurry. She blinked a few times as the being in front of her came into focus.

"H-huh?" She muttered as she became more and more aware of her surroundings. "W-Where am I...?"

"My house!" The guy beamed. "I had to sneak you in. You took quite a nasty fall at those cliffs."

Cliffs, she thought, as the memories came back, though not complete. She remembered running. Running, then tripping. Tripping, then falling. Falling for a long long time.

She couldn't recall what she had been running from. And she couldn't recall hitting the ground. Though looking at her injuries, she could definitely tell that she did.

"Where... where is 'your house,' exactly?" She questioned.

"Well... we're with my tribe. The Tribe of Darkness." The guy explained with a slightly more nervous tone than before. 

The girl's eyes widened and she immediately felt much more alert. "W-WHAT?! B-But I'm a human! W-we're not supposed to... um, repulse with you guys."

"Why does that matter?" The guy questioned, cocking his head to the side. "You were hurt, and needed help. Only a monster would ignore an injured soul."

"But... aren't you a monster?" She asked, not meaning to sound cruel, although she winced as soon as it came out of her mouth. She immediately squeezed her eyes shut and tensed up, drawing back as if she was afraid, trying to explain why she'd ask such a thing. "I-I-I mean, we've only heard bad stories of you people."

"Ah. Well, it depends on how you see us. Do you think I'm a monster?" He asked with a kind voice, leading her to relax and open her eyes slightly. She didn't expect that response.

He didn't quite act like a monster. When her village described the members of the Tribe of Darkness, they said they were merciless killers who hated humans. Not... kind souls who helped injured people.

She just stared at him for a moment, not answering.

That was the day their paths first crossed. The day this entire tragedy was set in motion.