A Second Chance

~ Flashback ~

Blumiere's father ran as far and fast as he could, hearing the sounds of his tribe being torn apart by Tippi, too afraid to turn back. Too afraid to face her again.

'YOU'RE THE ONE WHO GAVE HIM THAT SCAR ON HIS EYE! QUIT PRETENDING YOU LOVED HIM! YOU ONLY LOVE YOURSELF! YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF! QUIT PRETENDING YOU CARED ABOUT HIM! YOU DIDN'T! YOU'RE A HORRIBLE FATHER WHO JUST STOOD BY WHILE YOUR TRIBE KILLED HIM! A PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A PERSON IS WHAT YOU ARE!'

Her words echoed over and over in his head, their painful truth eating him alive. He could run from her rage, but not from her words, as they were already spoken. There in his head, they would remain for the rest of his pathetic life, slowly eating him alive from the inside.

He deserved to die back there and he knew it. But he was afraid. Too afraid to let himself get what he deserved. 

Too afraid to do anything. That's all he ever was. Too afraid. Why was he even still running? There was no way he could make up for what had happened. No way to undo what had been done. Life didn't just hand out second chances. His own mind and heart screamed at him, telling him what a horrible person he was. What a horrible person he'd always be.

You can run... but no matter how far you go, you could never escape yourself.

He just continued running until he was far enough to be safe, then he collapsed to his knees and hugged himself, letting a fresh row of bright blue tears fall. His eyes and tears were perhaps the only part of him that still contained that vibrant blue color. Everything else was greyed and dulled. He could look at his hands and see grey.  He brought his hands to his hair, which brushed over the tops of his eyes. Only instead of blue, it was black and dull now.

It was strange how quickly everything he ever knew could change. Now he didn't even know himself. Now he was completely and truly alone, with nothing but regrets filling his mind.

The memories flooded as he saw himself ruin one of Blumiere's beautiful blue eyes per the tribe's request. 

He remembered when they told him what he must do. He remembered dropping to his knees, begging them to let him spare his son. He remembered crying as they dragged him away. He remembered being powerless to do anything.

And now here he was. He held up a hand and tried summoning a small projectile, only for a teeny spark to show. His magic was nearly gone. Timpani must have drained most of it, just as she drained all the color from him.

He knew he couldn't go back. But where would he go? Who would he turn to?

For now... he guessed he'd just move forward. Move forward, and search for something. Though what, he wasn't sure.

For months he wandered hopelessly, too afraid to go back and confront Tippi. Not brave enough to go up to anyone. The rest of the world seemed to do nothing to stop Tippi in her path to darkness, and he alone was powerless against her and the Dark Prognosticus. He knew he could never face her. She'd tear him apart in seconds.

It took what felt like lifetimes, but, eventually, he came across the dimension in between dimensions known as Flipside. He didn't expect anyone to really take notice of him. As far as everyone else knew, the Tribe of Darkness had gone extinct.

He sat down near the edge of town. Defeated, helpless, and hopeless.

He felt like he was just wasting his life away now. No purpose, no meaning, no love. There truly was nothing for him.