Chapter 3

⭐"You can meet somebody tomorrow who has better intentions for you than someone you've known forever. Time means nothing. Character does"⭐
___

This morning I almost missed my alarm clock's ring. I got ready extra fast.
I put my hair in a bun. It's practical when you don't have time to blow-dry your hair.

The entrance hall at Carter Corp is as busy as usual and I wave over to Lisa who's already hard at work.

Once in my office, I begin to take my things out when Gabriel calls out to me.

Gabriel: "Hello, Lexi."

Lexi: "Hi, Gabriel!"

Gabriel nods giving me one of his big smiles before handing me a file.

Gabriel: "Could you take this to Mark? I don't have the time to be the secretary myself..."

Ah, because I evidently do!

With Gabriel and Mark, it's always been a little complicated. Gabriel doesn't like taking orders, especially if they're from Mark!

Lexi: "Er... Yes ok, if it helps you out."

I know how busy he is. Gabriel puts his hand on my arm and gives me a wink.

Gabriel: "Thank you, I knew I could count on you. It's on the last floor."

Lexi: "On the last floor? Mr. Carter's floor?"

Gabriel: "Yes, that's right. You just need to give it to Mark, up there."

I must admit that curiosity gets the better of me. It's not that the motive is exhilarating but I'll finally get the chance to discover the much talked about "last floor", the big boss' HQ...

Lexi: "Ok, I'll go."

Gabriel: "Thanks, Lexi. You're the best!"

Sometimes his seductive game is a little too much. I'm just taking a file up, no need to go into raptures about it!

I watch him walk back to his office, he stops off at a colleague's cubicle office to validate something on the screen.

Matt turns up carrying all his motorbiking gear. He looks at me with a true smile.

Matt: "Hello, angel! Where are you going like that?"

Lexi: "I'm off to see the big boss, Mister Carter in person! Please, sir!"

Matt: "Eh?"

Matt stares at me as if I'd just said something incredible.

Lexi: "No silly! I'm taking this file up to Mark, on the last floor..."

Matt: "Really...? You'll have to report back to me! I'm sure that the floor is made of marble and that the doors are made of gold up there."

I burst out laughing in front of Matt's dreamlike expression.

Lexi: "Yeah, and they say that when he coughs, diamonds come out of his butt..."

Matt: "Aagh that, I don't want to know!!"

I smile at Matt teasingly before turning around and walking away towards the elevator.

As I reach the last floor and discover the entrance hall, a "wow" falls from my lips.
No diamonds or gold but the room is huge and very light. It's completely glazed and the floor shines as if someone had spent all night polishing it.
In front of me, a big frame shows the companies name in capital letters. As if telling visitors to remember where they are.
Some comfortable leather seats are placed next to a spacious reception desk.