Chapter 24

PART 5

"I no longer force things. What flows, flows. What crashes, crashes. I only have space and energy for the things that are meant for me."⭐
__

For a moment all you can hear is the muffled purring of the engine. The tension between us is such that there could well be a few sparks.

Lexi: "Sir... It's not..."

I try to rid myself of him. We simply can't do this even if I'm dying for it...

I watch as his lips stretch slowly.

He leans, bringing his mouth closer to my ear. His smell invades me entirely... My whole body quivers with delight.

Mister Carter: "You weren't so uncertain when I was up against you in the elevator that time... Remember...?"

WHAT?!

My heart leaps into my chest! This revelation snaps me out of the torpor in which his embrace had plunged me!

I feel like he's thrown cold water in my face!

He was the mysterious stranger in the elevator! The guy with whom I almost lived the most indecent and most sensual moment of my life...

He knew it all along!! What an asshole!

I free myself from his embrace quite abruptly, leaving him alone beside the window!

Lexi: "So...You've always known...?"

He calmly arranges his shirt and a small smile appears on the corner of his lips.

Mister Carter: "I must say that you made that evening much more entertaining than it had been until then."

What nerve!

Lexi: "Why didn't you tell me?!"

He stares at me, visibly amused, pulling the sleeves of his shirt back down.

Mister Carter: "Tell you what? That I was the mysterious man you savagely embraced in the elevator at work?"

Lexi: "You mean to say that YOU kissed me savagely!"

Mister Carter: "You didn't give me the impression that you were against it..."

Suddenly, I realize that there's something far more unpleasant and demeaning than his lie.

Is that why he hired me? It would explain my sudden promotion...

Is that what he's been waiting for from the beginning? To have it away with me on his private jet?!

Lexi: "Is that why you hired me?"

My fists are tight and my voice is choked. If he comes near me again, I swear I'll give him an enormous slap!

Mister Carter: "Not at all."

Lexi: "Oh... So why did you then?"

Mister Carter: "You aroused my curiosity in that meeting room, Miss Mitchell... I like people who are challenging. And the little bonus in the elevator has nothing to do with what I think about your skills."

Lexi: "The little bonus?! You've got to be kidding me!!"

He sits down, shaking his head, a mocking smile on his face. Obviously, the situation amuses him a lot!

Lexi: "What's so funny?"

His ash-colored eyes stare at me. He puts his elbow against the armrest of the chair and rubs his chin.