Chapter 29

When someone helps you when they’re struggling too, that’s not help, that’s love.”⭐
__

This morning Carter summoned me to his office. He must surely want to discuss this sabotage story calmly.

Mister Carter: "Miss Mitchell, hello."

Lexi: "Hello, sir."

In my head, everything's mixed up and my heart is getting in the way...

I can't get the picture of yesterday out of my head. I want to talk to him about his generosity and tell him how touched I was, but he certainly wouldn't appreciate it if he knew I'd followed him...

I fiddle with my fingers while watching him and I decide to keep my discovery to myself.

He's searching for some papers and stacking them nervously. This is obviously not the right time for a calm discussion.

Mister Carter: "I don't have much time. A journalist wants to write an article about the company but I'm not available. Wait a second."

Without looking up at me, he flicks a switch on his digit phone and leans forward to make himself heard.

Mister Carter: "Samantha, call Mr. Barns and shift tonight's appointment."

The secretary barely has the time to reply before he flicks the switch back off.

Mister Carter: "I have something on at the other end of the city, I need you to take care of the interview. Can I count on you?"

His two gray eyes look up at me as he sorts his documents out.

Lexi: "Okay, no problem."

Firstly, you never say no to Ryan Carter.  Secondly, I had better not get it wrong this time!

I find it rather elegant of him to trust me again after the last fiasco.

Perhaps he's not as intransigent and severe as he tries to make believe, after all. He accepts mistakes. Though... Something tells me that he will not accept the same mistake twice.

Mister Carter: "Very well, he'll be here this afternoon."

Our conversation seems to be already over.

I'm surprised... I thought we were going to take the time to discuss the matter in Congo.

Lexi: "Sir...about the sanitation works..."

He looks at his cellphone frowning.

Mister Carter: "A freighter should be leaving within the next few days. I can't do any more for now."

Lexi: "Really? Can't you do anything else?"

He looks me in the eye for a moment. He must be asking himself, who I am to speak to him like this, and I must admit, I wonder too!

Mister Carter: "What do you want me to do? I can't deliver the material any faster."

Lexi: "Isn't there a company on site that can help...?"

Mister Carter: "I would have thought of it, if there was, Miss Mitchell..."

Sorry...

I sense that this problem is bothering him...

Lexi: "What are you going to do about the people at fault?"

Mister Carter: "Aside from reinforcing the safety of the site by using guards, I don't see what else I can do..."