Chapter 10

"The peace I have known was worth everything that I lost."⭐
__

I haven't seen Carter this morning. I must say that it suits me better that way. After dreaming of him all over me in the back of his limousine, the idea of seeing him today worries me slightly.

I'm finding it difficult to concentrate!

Suddenly, somebody knocks on my office door and the secretary walks in.

I can hardly see her eyes so much the pile of files that she's carrying in front of her is huge.

She drops the documents down onto my desk, panting.

Secretary: "Mister Carter wished for me to bring you these files."

Lexi: "Er... Thank you..."

Secretary: "Good-bye."

She leaves as quickly as she came in, leaving me alone with the mound of paperwork before me.

A few sheets of paper threaten to slip and make the whole pile fall.

Lexi: "Ok... Great..."

I try steadying the pile of files by gathering, as best I can, the bottom sheets.

What an idea! The files are now slipping, one after the other, as if magnetized on either side.

The pyramid collapses in seconds!

Lexi: "Oh no no, no!"

I make a desperate attempt to catch what's left of the pile before it falls but it's no use! You can't beat the power of gravity!

Lexi: "Oh shit!!"

Honestly! If there's a blunder to be made, It's generally me that does it!

I kneel down, moaning as I pick it all up. It's gonna take as much time to tidy as it will to read!

This sucks... Here I am, on all fours, picking up a pile of scattered documents.

Glancing through, I realize that they're paper records of all the actions undertaken by the company abroad.

Current actions, different projects, partners...

If he wants all this analyzed, It's not a day that I'll need, but a year!

Suddenly, the door opens behind me. I swear that if the secretary makes one remark, I'll untidy her blow-dried hair!

With my wrist I brush a strand of hair behind my ear, turning my head towards the door. I restrain from saying something unpleasant!

But two grey eyes are looking at me, astounded shutting up any desire of rebellion.

Lexi: "Oh! Mister Carter!"

I realize that I'm showing him my behind. Something a little less professional comes to mind. Shall we talk about my dream...?

I stand clumsily, putting the creased paperwork on my desk and tidying my skirt up.

Carter walks towards me looking at the scattered documents on the ground.

Lexi: "It's nothing, I just... I just accidentally dropped some documents."

Mister Carter: "I'll come back later..."

Lexi: "No, no! It's fine. Tell me."

I casually push a piece of paper aside that had sidled in under my heels and look at him innocently.

Mister Carter: "I wanted to see how you were getting on with the... documents."

Lexi: "Well... Do you really want me to read it all?"