Chapter 23

"Stop ruining your mental health over people and situations that you have no control over. It's time to let go."⭐
__

I'm sat down, gazing out at the night sky through the window.

We boarded the jet about twenty minutes ago. The rest of the day was filled with a business lunch and negotiations.

Carter mastered everything perfectly. He has this incredible ability to charm whoever he's speaking too, man or woman.

I'm fiddling with my fingers whilst he's gone to take an important call.

For some reason, I've been feeling nervous ever since we got back on the plane.

As Carter returns, my eyes meet his. The dim light gives them almost a violet tint.

He sits down in front of me in silence. I see him frown.

I prefer not to pry. I watch him in silence.

His gray eyes, usually so captivating, have darkened.

Mister Carter: "Discover Ryan Carter's ridiculous nickname. Can you explain?"

Lexi: "Listen... I'm sorry but... The journalist tricked me... I was expecting more interesting questions about our work... "

Carter is shaking his head and sighing, closing his eyes.

Mister Carter: "I thought I could give you a simple interview..."

I stare at him without saying a word, a lump in my throat.

Mister Carter: "It wasn't very complicated..."

I must be stupid then because I found it very complicated to handle.

Maybe he finds it simple, because it's his world, it's his routine, but he left me alone on unknown ground!

Lexi: "The journalist directed all her questions looking for gossip!"

Mister Carter: "And you gave it to her on a silver platter! Congratulations!"

He sighs and stands, one hand on his waist and the other in his hair.

Mister Carter: "I can't afford this kind of press article, Miss Mitchell."

Lexi: "I'm aware of that... I didn't mean to be detrimental..."

He turns to look at me. His eyes are wide open and he's staring at me as if I were the biggest idiot ever.

Mister Carter: "Allow me to doubt that!"

Great! Besides being an idiot, I'm also some kind of bitch!

Lexi: "I don't allow you to..."

He lets out a little nervous laugh.

Mister Carter: "You're..."

He doesn't finish his sentence. Holding himself back out of politeness. But I can easily complete it in my head and my heart sinks.

Seeing the disappointment in his eyes hurts me and I have no idea how to sort things out.

Carter is pacing up and down while I curl up on my seat. If I could, I'd melt into it.

Mister Carter: "You never show a journalist your weaknesses. Never!"

Lexi: "It's not a weakness to be human and to love your family!!"