Chapter 43

PART 8

⭐️“Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else’s war against themselves.”⭐️
___

As Jake pulls up in front of my building, my sobbing has calmed down but I'm still sniffing.

Lexi: "Come and have a drink."

Jake: "Are you sure? You should rest..."

Lexi: "Your boss may treat you as his simple chauffeur, but not me. You're not my taxi."

In front of my determination, Jake nods and steps out of the car.

I take a deep breath. The evening air soothes my little-bruised heart.

Lexi: "It's this way."

Jake glances at the Limousine and presses on the key to lock the doors. He follows me.

As we get to the apartment, I casually put my things on the piece of furniture by the entrance.

Lexi: "Let me take your jacket."

He smiles at me before entering my little living-room. He looks around quietly.

Lexi: "What will you drink? Whiskey? Beer?"

Jake: "Whisky."

Lexi: "Ok, I'll have the same."

I think I need a little more than a beer to drown my sorrow!

I grab two glasses and place them on the coffee table.

Lexi: "Don't stay standing... Take a seat."

Jake sits down quietly on my sofa. He doesn't seem to be feeling very comfortable.

No doubt he's feeling guilty about being here, with regards to his boss.

I pretend not to notice. I need company, not another complicated conversation.

He clears his throat and pulls a little on his jacket to smooth it down. Then he holds his large hands together and places his elbows on his knees.

Mr. Diggels starts to scratch the glass of his cage to catch our attention. Jake looks towards him.

Lexi: "Sorry, you haven't met yet, let me introduce you to my roommate, Mr. Diggels."

Jake: "Pleased to meet you, Mr. Diggels."

He forces a smile out of me. I pour the amber liquid into the glasses silently.

Lexi: "Thank you for bringing me back tonight... You didn't have to."

Jake: "It's okay, it's normal."

Lexi: "Oh really? Do you often have to deal with crying, broken-hearted women, in your job?"

Jake: "I've had to deal with worse than that."

His lips stretch into a regretful smile.

Yes, I'd forgotten that he was a former soldier, he must have had other women weeping on his shoulder, and under far more serious circumstances.

Lexi: "You know Jake, the good thing is that with you I can laugh off my pathetic existence! chin-chin!"

We drink and I down the contents of my glass, which makes me grimace a little.

I pour another glass. I realize suddenly that I must look a mess. I quickly swallow the whiskey I've just served myself before saying to Jake:

Lexi: "If you'll excuse me for a second, I'll just go and make myself more presentable."