Chapter 12

PART 3

"There is a difference between a person who hurts you by making a mistake, and a person who hurts you by continuing a pattern. Mistakes can be forgiven. Patterns should be broken."⭐
__

I've been in the bathroom for two hours now!

I spent ages making myself up in a sophisticated way! Thanks to Youtubers and their valuable beauty tips!

For the tenth time, I check if my eyeliner hasn't run and if nothing's out of place with my hair.

It took me half an hour to straighten my hair and curl the ends before tying it all up in a loose bun.

I look at myself one last time.

I congratulate myself inside for the work done! With the dress, it'll be perfect!

I gently unfold the Valentino dress and stare at it an instant. It really is beautiful!

I carefully slip it on. The silk fabric slides over my bare skin. As I look at myself in the mirror, a smile comes across my face and my eyes glisten.

The dress molds my curves perfectly... To the extent that I won't be able to put any underwear on without it showing.

My shoulders are bare and the low cut shape of its back lets my lower back show.

Carter must be very observant for getting my size right. The dress fits so well that it's as if it was tailored for me. I blush at the thought that he should evaluate me so accurately.

I check the time. 7:55 pm already! I'd better get a move on!!

I put my shoes on and my jewelry. No time to check myself over again, I have to go!

As I get outside the Limousine is already there. Stewart is waiting. He's typing on his telephone with his back against the car.

As his eyes set on me, he pauses, obviously stirred.

Stewart: "Er... Miss."

Lexi: "Good evening Stewart!"

He stutters a compliment and opens the door for me.

I lift my dress up slightly and step into the vehicle. It wouldn't take much for me to think I'm going to the Cannes film festival!

Lexi: "Thank you, Stewart."

He nods before closing the door. As he goes around the Limousine to get into the driver's seat, I check my makeup one last time in the rearview mirror.

Stewart: "Mister Carter is already at the venue. We should be arriving in ten minutes."

Lexi: "Oh ok."

The thought of meeting Carter there makes me nervous. Imperceptibly, my heart beats faster at the mere mention of his name.

Lexi: "I'm really not used to this sort of reception... I hope I'm not off-tone..."

Stewart gives me a kind look in the rearview mirror.

Stewart: "You're stunning."

I feel troubled. I'm not used to a man telling me I'm beautiful, especially when he doesn't expect anything in return...

My mind stirs. What does this evening have in store? Will it be like in the movies...?

As the Limousine stops in front of the Guggenheim Museum on the corner of 89th street, my heart is about to explode.