Chapter 38

PART 7

⭐️"One day, someone will come into your life and love you so effortlessly that you'll wonder why you ever settled for anything less."⭐️
___

Ryan shows me to the restaurant but I am worried. Jake is parking the limousine while we walk.

Lexi: "Ryan... Is someone trying to hurt you...?"

Ryan: "Don't worry about that..."

A few minutes ago we were being followed. Of course, I'm worried!

Lexi: "Would it have anything to do with the sabotage in Congo by any chance... Was it meant as a warning? You seemed to know them?"

Ryan turns to me holding both my shoulders in his hands. I stare at him, feeling nervous.

Ryan: "I don't want you to worry about me. When you're successful you make enemies, that's the way it is."

I pout at him dubiously.

He looks at me softly, almost tenderly.

Ryan: "I have everything under control, now, please... promise me just to enjoy this evening."

His eyes are so confident and reassuring that I manage to relax a little. Plus, Jake's not far.

Ryan: "No doubt you know...?"

Ryan smiles at me, inviting me to look at what he's pointing at.

I recognize the sign in a flash and I can't help but look at Ryan with a big smile on my lips.

We're standing outside the restaurant of the Michelin star chef, Michel Garbot, undoubtedly one of the most famous chefs in the world!

Lexi: "Nooo way...?!"

My voice is shrill, as I gaze wide-eyed, looking at him then at the sign several times.

Lexi: "You've booked a table here...? But it's simply impossible to get a reservation without phoning weeks in advance!..."

He smiles at me looking satisfied.

Yes, I had forgotten all about the Carter effect.

Being French, this 3-star chef moved to New York to open his gourmet restaurant, which he very simply named, "Michel", in the Upper East Side.

I've been a fan of his for a long time! His cooking is a family thing that's lasted over three generations.

And you can feel all the love and passion that he puts in his endless quest for new flavors. His creations are simply unmissable, his cuisine is just the height of good taste!

I must say that the episode in the car is quickly put into the background when I religiously tread on the soil of this temple of gastronomy!

I can feel Ryan observing me, as I examine the place in detail bright-eyed, holding a hand on my chest.

Lexi: "Ryan... It's unbelievable... You can't imagine the pleasure you're giving bringing me here!"

I whispered this without ceasing to look at the place.

He puts a hand around my waist, inviting me to walk forwards.

I don't know if it's the endless waiting, the beauty of the place or his mere presence, but my body electrifies at his touch and my heart races.

A young man wearing a suit gives us a warm welcome. He bends over slightly, one hand on his waist holding the other behind his back.

Clerk: "Madam, sir... Welcome to Michel's. Can I take your coats?"