Chapter 8

"I don't ever want to go through another stage in my life where I am telling someone how they should treat me."⭐
__

This morning I go to the 42nd floor to get my stuff.

Matt hasn't arrived yet and Gabriel isn't in his office.

A few colleagues lift their eyes up at me as I casually get my stuff together.

I feel really strange like I'm leaving a little part of me here.

Well... It's not as if I was moving towns. I'm just changing floors and it's still the same boss!

Carrying my boxes, I step into the elevator.

As the doors close, I sigh. Goodbye to the little newcomer, welcome to Lexi, Mister Carter's assistant.

As I step into the entrance hall, I take a glance at the secretary. Wow, it's yet another one!

Does Carter collect them or what? Does he have one for each day of the week?

I smile at her and make my way to my office.

As I push the door open with my foot, I almost drop everything on the floor.

Cassidy!

She looks at me patronizingly as I struggle to close the door, without dropping all my stuff.

You could help instead of just stand there! Oh but of course... you might break one of your witch like nails!

Lexi: "Miss Sparke! Hello!"

Cassidy: "I have your contract... modified."

She utters the last word with a hint of irony.

The contract! I'd forgotten all about it!!

I put my boxes down on my desk and quickly tidy my shirt up.

Lexi: "Oh thank you."

She hands me the paper, looking disgusted.

As I go to take the documents, she doesn't let go immediately.

Cassidy: "Managing to lower your salary, I think that's a first!"

She says this sniggering.

I gaze at her not losing countenance.

Lexi: "And I'm sure you enjoyed making the modification."

I take a pen and sign the contract in front of her disdainful look.

Cassidy: "I don't know what you did to get this post but I'll find out sooner or later."

Well you can always look cause even I don't have the faintest!

She snatches the signed paperwork and addresses me, a little mocking smile before leaving the room.

Cassidy Sparke, I hate you!

...

I didn't see Carter at all today. We exchanged by email. I had lunch with Colin and Matt to tell them the news.

I don't really know how Matt took it. Even if he congratulated me and teased me a little, he wasn't as talkative as usual. As for Colin... well Colin never talks anyway.