Chapter 5

⭐"No amount of guilt can change the past, and no amount of anxiety can change the future"⭐
___

Last night, I finished the putting together of the menu very late. I sent my work to Mark by e-mail around 3 am.

This morning I get to work exhausted... I sit at my desk and check my mailbox.

Mark sent me a message around 3h30 am! I guess he didn't sleep much either. Although I think that in his case, it's not an exception.

From Mark Leviels to Lexi Mitchell: Good evening Miss Mitchell. Thank you for your invaluable help. The charity ball is taking place very soon and you are invited of course. Wishing you a good week. M.L

Wow! Mark has invited me to the charity ball?! It's the first time something like that happens to me!

I calm myself down. Anybody would think that I was a teenager getting ready for my prom ball... It's just an invitation to a social event...

I wonder who goes to that sort of event, apart from rich heirs or important businessmen.

I can see it from here: The perfect chance to meet anybody who's anybody in New-York! Who knows, maybe Beyonce or Leonardo Di Caprio will be there!

Before getting to work on the last project Gabriel entrusted me with, I decide to research a little on Carter Corp's humanitarian aid.

Indeed, several results are found in the search engine.

The firm appears to be very active in Africa in the installation of water sanitation systems. It also finances schools, clinics, as well as several charity organizations on site.

I quickly find many articles mentioning the Carter company.

The New York Times says that "New York's golden boy is engaging in charity." Whereas the New York post titles: "The planet's sexiest businessman has it all."

There are many photos of Mister Carter posing with young Africans in front of schools and hospitals.

I must say that on the photos, though he still has that disarming charm about him there's also something a little more... humane.

But, in the end, is he being sincere?

Could it be a way of making a good impression, of flattering his image and his reputation?

I find it difficult to believe that men, born in an unrestrained capitalistic environment, really feel concerned by poverty in the developing world...

My research takes me to much more specialized articles in Finance and Economics and I quickly lose interest.

Carter is, without a doubt, at the cutting edge of his profession and arouses the admiration of many of his peers.

My curiosity pushes me to type what most of the woman in this city who have met him must have typed before me...

Nervously I type Ryan Carter single.

Lot's of rather evocative results come up: "Ryan Carter single (again)", "Ryan Carter is single again".

I can't believe the number of pictures that appear on the screen!

Sentimentally speaking he's difficult to define! There are a lot of photos showing him in the company of many absolutely stunning women!

Top models, in vogue actresses... My ego takes a blow and I hate how it makes me feel like.

What did I expect?