Chapter 46

"You cannot travel back in time to fix your mistakes, but you can learn from them and forgive yourself for not knowing better."⭐️
___

Quickly several security officers crowd around Ryan. Our little bubble bursts.

I come back to reality: the noise of the city rumbling in the background, the dirty creep's grunts and the sound of Jake giving orders to the security team.

Is he a chauffeur or a bodyguard...?

Ryan loosens his clasp slightly to talk to the agents.

Ryan: "Call the police and make sure that all the guests have left the building before they get here. Be careful not to let anyone in."

Security agent: "Very well, sir."

I can't believe how calmly Ryan is handling the situation.

Ryan Carter always handles situations perfectly. It's his job. He's in control all the time. I've never seen him let go.

He puts his hands on my shoulders and leans his head over to look at me.

Ryan: "Could you stay here a minute?"

I nod my head gently.

He beckons to one of the agents and invites me to walk up to him.

Ryan: "She's with me, put her undercover."

He asks me to step back and sit down. This is the first time something like this happens to me!

It's completely crazy! A little more of that and I think I'd think myself in the middle of an action movie! And it's even the first time I've seen a real gun.

Security agent: "Follow me, miss..."

I hesitate to follow him because I don't want to get too far from Ryan, but I don't have enough strength to resist.

Security agent: "Are you hurt?"

Lexi: "No, but... I'm a little shocked, I think."

Security agent: "Wouldn't you prefer to go inside and warm yourself up?"

Lexi: "No, I'd rather stay here."

I answer with my eyes fixed on Ryan.

He must know that you should never fight against a woman's desires cause he doesn't insist!

Ryan: "Trevor, get me a blanket or something warm! This girl is frozen."

I watch them busying themselves, silently. I don't feel the coldness on me, yet I have goosebumps.

I see Ryan approaching Jake who's firmly holding the assailant.

The guy grumbles. He gives Ryan the death stare, obviously disappointed to have missed his target. But Carter doesn't seem impressed and keeps his composure.

From where I am I can't hear the conversation.

I just see the guy struggling as Jake digs into his pockets and takes out a cell phone.

He gives it to one of the agents. It's undoubtedly an important exhibit in understanding what happened.

But this time, it's certain. Someone seriously wants to hurt Ryan... A competitor? People who don't agree with his actions?

Why now? Why this evening?

This time, they weren't just threats!

The director of the startup joins Ryan. He looks like a zombie. His suit is crumpled and his perfect hairstyle looks a hot mess.