Chapter 7

⭐"Whatever didn't work out for you wasn't meant for you. Trust the process"⭐
___

I meet Lisa for lunch.

As I get to our regular restaurant, she's already there, giggling at her telephone.

Lexi: "What poor guy are you torturing now?"

She smiles broadly as I take a seat opposite her.

Lisa: "Don't worry, he's consenting."

I look at her sideways.

Lisa: "So? What's this really important thing you wanted to talk to me about?"

Lexi: "It's insane... Do you remember the blunder I made with the big boss? And that because of it I worked on the charity ball menu for Mark...?"

Lisa: "Yeah...?"

Lexi: "Well, wait for it... This morning, Mark announced me that I was changing jobs."

Lisa: "What do you mean?"

Lexi: "Well, Mister Carter wants me to be his new assistant..."

Lisa is staring at me with dumbstruck eyes.

Lisa: "Really?"

Lexi: "Really! I've just accepted a day's trial. I don't even know why... I have until tonight to decide."

Lisa: "Well, well!..."

My announcement leaves Lisa speechless. And that doesn't often happen!

Lexi: "I don't even know why me. Just because I advised him once on the choice of wine...? It doesn't make sense..."

Lisa: "Lexi... You should really start trusting yourself and seeing yourself for what you're worth... A guy like Carter knows what he's doing. He must have seen potential in you."

Lexi: "I don't know... He did say I had a gift, a certain sensitivity."

And I have to admit I found the compliment elegant.

Lisa: "Hang on a minute there, you do make the best strawberry cream cake in the world!!"

We both burst out laughing.

Lisa: "No kidding, Lexi. It's a golden opportunity!"

Lexi: "You think so...?"

Lisa: "It's a professional opportunity that won't come twice!"

Lexi: "If you were me, would you accept...?"

Lisa: "I wouldn't hesitate one minute!"

I stare at my glass, puzzled.

Lisa: "You have to think about your future, about what you'd like to do. You don't want to be a communication's assistant all your life, do you?"

Lexi: "To be honest, I've never really asked myself the question..."

Lisa: "I tell you, cutie. Stop giving yourself a headache. Sometimes you just need to take things as they come. And you'll be working for Carter... How classy!"

Lexi: "I don't know... He's really very... attractive. And I find it difficult to concentrate when he's looking at me. Let alone when he talks..."

Lisa draws in towards me and folds her hands on the table. Her opalescent eyes contract and a little cheeky smile stretches across her lips.

Lisa: "You've got the hots!"

Lexi: "No!! Absolutely not! It's just that... He's a very charismatic man..."