Chapter 20

"If we don't tell people how we feel, how will they know?"⭐
__

This morning I received an e-mail from Carter announcing that we were leaving next Monday. He needs me to prepare papers for the business deal he has to sign in Houston.

After a few hours and feeling a bit lonely, I decide to go to the break room on the 42nd floor, hoping to bump into someone I know.

In the elevator, I go back over everything in my head: I have less than a week to prepare for this trip with Carter.

Stepping out, I bump into Matt.

Matt: "Hey, Angel!"

Lexi: "Hi, Matt!"

Matt: "To what do we owe the pleasure of the executive assistant's visit?"

Lexi: "Just a need to see you guys. Would you like a coffee?"

He smiles broadly and walks me to the machine.

While I choose what to drink, Matt leans gently towards me and whispers.

Matt: "Admit it, you can't go without me, eh?"

Lexi: "You've uncovered me! I was yearning for you and your very subtle humor, up there, in my ivory tower."

Matt chuckles at me.

Matt: "Ahhhh... angel! I miss your kindness so much!"

Lexi: "Don't tell me that you're new, er... how should I put it... boy colleague doesn't give you the brush-off...?"

I raise an eyebrow in his direction, feeling proud of my little dig.

Lexi: "Apparently he's rather... manly."

Matt lets out a grunt.

Matt: "Yeah..."

I laugh at his revolted look.

Lexi: "Come on, don't make that face, I'm sure things will turn out fine with your new colleague."

Matt: "Mh yeah... Nothing will replace my charming little co-worker who abandoned me to go join the Great Manitou."

I stare at him, amused.

Lexi: "Ah be quiet! If he had been a beautiful blonde, you wouldn't be saying the same thing!"

Matt: "I'd rathered a girl for sure, but she'd never have been you, anyway."

Lexi: "Argh, that's so sweet! You want something, is that it...?"

Matt: "Yes, that you set me up with the stuck-up little secretary on your floor. I'm sure that once she lets her hair down she's really hot..."

I give him a nudge rolling my eyes.

Matt: "Anyway, I can't say I came out on top... I'm now sharing my office with a mustache. It's gonna take some getting used to!"

Lexi: "Has your mustache got a name?"

Matt: "Robert."

I glance at him sideways.

Matt: "It would suit him, but no. His name is Lucas."

Lexi: "No, seriously, is it going well?"

Matt: "Yep, fine. It's going."

Despite his habit of kidding around, I can tell that he really misses working with me.

Lexi: "Would you like to have a drink after work?"

Matt: "Sure, but not tonight, I have to work on my bike."