Chapter 17

"I want to be around people that do things. I don't want to be around people anymore that judge or talk about what people do. I want to be around people that dream and support and do things."⭐
__

Early afternoon, Ryan asked me to work on an important project. He has appointments in town, he won't be in his office.

It's in my best interest to prove to him that I'm willing and capable of this job.

My love of challenges gets the better of me instead of wanting to give up...

It's a merger and acquisition project with a young European start-up working in emerging technologies an issue that seems to interest Carter greatly.

He wants a complete rundown on the enterprise's activity and its executives.

I get to work straight away looking for information on the company. Articles, interviews...

After a long, while gathering it all, I stretch on my seat. It's all very well but I'm gonna have to double check the information I found... The company must have detailed documents somewhere.

Even if I'm not thrilled with the idea, I decide to go to the secretary and ask her about it.

As usual, she's busy typing frenetically on her keyboard.

Lexi: "Sorry to disturb you. Do you know if there's an archive room with records of our company's mergers and acquisitions?"

She stares at me, raising an eyebrow.

Secretary: "We don't have an archive room. Everything here is digitized. You'll have to see with the IT department..."

Colin's department!

Lexi: "Ok, thanks."

I quickly head back to my office to send Colin a message.

From Lexi Mitchell to Colin Spencer: "Hi Colin, I need documents concerning our company's mergers and acquisitions projects. The secretary told me everything was digitized."

After a few minutes, he answers, sending me a link and a password giving me access to the records. Fantastic!

I warmly thank Colin before plunging into this ocean of information. The afternoon is going to be a long one...

...

It's quite late when I complete the file entrusted by Carter. I switch my computer off and I pick my things up ready to leave.

The hallway is empty, everything is silent. I always feel like I'm somewhere else when everything's this calm.

I notice some light coming from my boss's office...

I slowly make my way towards the room to warn him of my leaving when a voice calls out from behind me.

Mister Carter: "Miss. You're still here?"

As I turn around he's very close. Too close. There's a peculiar glint in his eyes. A guilty hot flush spreads through my body...

Lexi: "I wanted to finish the file you entrusted me with."

Mister Carter: "I didn't entrust you the file for you to botch it up today. There are a lot of things to be studied and considered with it..."

Lexi: "That's why I've appended three research registers to my report at your disposal."