Chapter 45: The Dark Truth

Never in my entire existence have I felt the level of terror that I felt upon hearing Death threaten to take my life. I could have attempted to test Death by questioning him for any clues: Where are their souls located? Would I have been able to restore their souls into their bodies through a spell? That is, if Damian hadn't stepped in. I had forgotten that he was with me earlier and I hadn't remembered seeing him anywhere while I was talking with Death. Where was he all this time?

"Thank you for warning us. Though, there is nothing for you to worry about. Everyone knows that the dead should not be revived. You have my word that Garrick will not try to bring any member of his family back to life." Damian promises while he wraps an arm around my shoulders and covers my mouth.

Death stared down at the two of us for a second before he nodded his head. "Very well. As long as you understand that then I will not have to keep that promise."

"I can assure you that you will not have any quarrel with Garrick." Damian declares as I try to escape from his grasp. Though, he responded by simply tightening his arm around me.

"I expect nothing less from you, spawn of Lucifer. As I may have overstayed my welcome, I bid the two of you farewell." Death responds and tips his hat to us.

Since Damian still had his hand over my mouth, he said our goodbyes for us to which Death replied with one chilling response. "Until we meet again."

I watched as Death turned his back to us then proceeded to walk forward. With each step he took, mist was beginning to form until it completely enveloped him. The mist condensed into a fog, obscuring our view of Death completely, for about a second before it vanished.

"That was far too close for my liking. Never, ever disrespect Death like that again." Damian warned after a while.

After Damian removed his hand from my mouth, I grabbed his wrist and quickly pulled him closer to me. With a hard shove from my right shoulder to his chest, I threw him a couple of meters away. My attack seemed to have taken him aback as I watched him stumble across the field. It did, however, anger him because he glared at me with his demonic eyes. He got himself back up and stomped towards me.

"What was that for?!" Damian demanded furiously to which I rolled my eyes.

"You made a promise to Death for me!" I seethed in the same manner as him.

"Oh, please. You would have been dead if I hadn't stepped in!" Damian scoffs with a dismissive wave of his hand.

"I never asked you to! This was a conversation between me and Death! You had no right to interfere like that!" I snarl at him while my vision flickers red.

Damian did not seem to think that my outburst was called for because he replied with, "Don't you think you are overexaggerating? I saved your life! Be grateful that Death spared your life because of me!"

I cannot believe him. Does he not understand that the promise he made to Death would prevent me from having any chance to bring my siblings back to life? I know Damian is going to keep his word because of the way he contained himself around Death. If I were in his place, I would do the exact same thing but I still did not like how he excluded me from actually making that promise.

"I only wanted to bring Lily and Luka back! They didn't deserve to die because of me! I killed them so they should be alive! If you had just allowed me to bargain with Death about it, he could have taken me in their place!" I shout as I feel the familiar uncontrollable rage building inside of me again.

"That will never come to be. Death would never trade your life for two of your siblings. Your soul alone could never replace theirs." Damian states almost a matter of factly which did not help in quelling my anger.