Chapter 28: Trust Must Be Earned

All I have to do is go speak to the man in a civilized manner and ask that he releases the young boy from the relationship that he doesn't want to be involved in any longer. I thought to myself, mentally preparing myself for a rational conversation with the man. Of course, if talking fails, I have no qualms about defeating him in a spar.

I maneuver around couples dancing and people attempting to pull me into a dance with them, my eyes never leaving the couple. I nearly lost my temper along the way that by the time I reached my destination, all thoughts of having a civilized conversation was gone. Well, not entirely gone. I still have some sense to refrain myself from jumping into a fight.

The couple were still in the same place when I reached them along with the muscular man, who I now sense a demonic presence from him, continues to send threats to the younger boy. Having a clear head intact, I tap on the demon's right shoulder to gain his attention. However, he didn't seem to give any care about manners as he looks over his shoulder and send a cold glare at me before growling, "What do you want?"

"For starters, some manners. It's not polite for someone like you to be rude even if you are a demon. And please, don't try to intimidate me with any moot threats you could conjure because I don't scare easily." I greet, taking one quick look at the boy on the floor.

He's not human was the first thing that crossed my mind. I don't sense a human soul within him nor does he have that human blood scent. Neither does he have a vampire or demon related presence. What I do sense is an animal. Perhaps a werewolf? I haven't met any werewolves so I can't really be sure.

Then again, he could be a shapeshifter. They're a distant relative of the werewolves. The only difference between the two is that a werewolf must turn into a wolf at least every full moon to keep themselves in check. A shapeshifter can shift at any time without having to lose most of their humanity.

According to my mother who has lived longer than my father, there are different types of shapeshifters. The most renowned are the werewolves because of an old war between them and the vampires. Actual shapeshifters take kindly to any other type of shifters and view them as equals. They would permit the other shifters to join their pack if necessary, so why is this one all alone?

"Manners aren't my specialty." The demon snarls with what I believe is supposed to be an intimidating look on his face. However, I didn't feel any twinge of fear from a demon who clearly relies on his strength to cause fear into others.

"Might I suggest learning then? I don't mean to sound boastful, but I like to consider myself as a proper gentleman and I can tell that what you are doing to this young boy is no way to treat someone. So, I'm going to have to ask you that you release him from your clutches before I force you to." I advise as I took a quick glance at the boy held hostage.

He seems to be around my age in appearance, though he could be older than me if he's some type of shifter since they tend to live longer than humans. His hair is dark brown and completely in disarray from being man handled. His eyes are close to being black, but there was still tints of brown in them. However, they were filled with terror as he's staring up at me.

"Do you have any idea who you're talking to?!" The demon shouts and walks right up to me. His face leaning down to my level, but I'm still not afraid of him.

"A sadistic man that was torturing this young lad." I answer bluntly which only infuriated him even more if it were possible.

The demon growls in anger and swiftly takes hold of my neck in a rather tight grip with both of his hands. He held on so tightly that it would've killed a normal human being instantly. I'm not a human being. I'm half vampire and half demon whose had a demon knight of hell train me in close combat for self defense. This is where his training is useful because as soon as I felt the demon's skin touch my neck, I turn my whole body to my left while my left arm hits both of his arms until his arms were away from my neck. Except, I wasn't done.