Chapter 35: Twice the Murder

It's cold tonight. Then again, it's cold every night for the past twenty days. The London weather has been dropping and it will continue to drop until it snow falls. Tonight, it won't snow. It might rain, but not snow.

This night, Galvin and I are once again roaming around Whitechapel in hopes to catch Jack the Ripper. Apparently, Scotland Yard received a letter claiming to be written by the letter himself and has given himself the name Jack the Ripper. According to Luka, the letter was postmarked on 27 of September by the Central News Agency of London that was then forwarded to Scotland Yard a couple of hours ago on the 29 of September. Luka also said that the letter mentioned cutting off the next victim's ear "just for jolly good" and that is what worries me.

For the past two weeks, we have been searching for the murderer with no avail. I even gotten some ravens to scour all over London for a wider range, but none caught sight of a vampire brutally killing a woman. However, because of the letter, coined as the Dear Boss letter, I am more cautious of tonight. If what the letter said was true, he will strike tonight and fulfill his promise.

"It is nearing one am, Galvin. Almost 12:50 am actually," I announce after checking the time again from my pocket watch. The bells will ring soon enough to mark the next hour. . .

"Already? I hadn't noticed how late it has gotten. . ." Galvin responds while we turn the corner into Ellen Street. All is quiet, not even my ravens have come to see me as of yet. One should be flying this way, I made sure they inform me of any changes every half an hour.

"What would you like to do? Continue to search or call it a night?" I ask, taking note of how exhausted he is.

Galvin insisted that we began our search as soon as the officials began lighting the lamp posts. Despite the fact that he was eager to roam the streets, I persuaded him into having a nice spot of tea first. After that, we went to the first murdering site in Buck's row then made our way to Hanbury Street. From there, Galvin decided to walk straight down to Leman Street.

We didn't see anything strange nor did I hear someone who could have tried to hypnotize a human. Neither did any of my ravens informed me that something was amiss. But, we continue on in our search for the serial killer. Fortunately, we haven't encountered any other night creature and I hope it stays that way until we discover who Jack the Ripper is.

"Let's continue down this street. Jack the Ripper usually kills his victim between midnight and one. If nothing happens by two, we can call it a night." Galvin proposes with a yawn.

"Galvin, you're exhausted. I think we should get to bed and resume tomorrow night." I note as we pass Brushfield Street, but Galvin waves away my worry.

"I'll manage. We will walk the rest of this street then you can take me home with portal magic thing. All right?" Galvin persists, leaving me no other choice but to agree.

The two of us press on along Leman Street, seeing a few beat cops taking their evening patrol around, but nothing out of the ordinary occurred. By the time the bells rang to signify one am, we have arrived at Whitechapel High Street where I noticed a woman making a turn to Aldgate. The scent of alcohol reached my nose which immediately brought disgust into me. I turn away from the woman and follow Galvin onward when my ears picked up on distinct flapping.

I tilt my head to the direction of the flapping noise and see a raven flying towards me. I waste no time in providing the raven a place to perch by holding my arm out in front of me and the raven lands on my arm. Galvin makes some sort of comment, but I ignore him for the moment as I thought to the raven, "What have you found?"

"There was a killing just recently on 40 Berner Street. You will have to hurry if you want to see the murderer." The raven informs me before flying away.