Chapter 2: The Witch's Prophecy

"Garrick? Are you almost done up there?" My mother shouts through my wooden door.

"One moment!" I yell as I search around my new room for my last pair of leather boots. I look inside my closet and see my missing boot hiding behind the door.

"Hurry, lad, or we're going to be late!" Father reminds me of our meeting with an old friend of my mother's as I slip my boot on.

Before I left my room, I made sure I looked presentable since I didn't want my mum to make a fuss over my clothes. Afterwards, I rush downstairs and see Mum and Dad waiting by the door for me. Fortunately, they weren't cross with me but I know I'll get a lecture.

"I'm sorry for the delay. I was looking for my missing boot. Shall we then?" I apologize.

"Yes, I just hope Acantha is in a decent mood." Mum states while exiting the front door.

"That reminds me, why are we going to visit a witch?" I ponder after her with my father trailing behind me.

"Your mother asked that she checks on you." Father answers while he locks the house.

"Check on me? Why?" I ask, utterly confused.

"It's just a precaution, dear. We have to make sure that everything is fine inside of you." Mum replies.

"Oh. . . Right. . . I have forgotten about that. . ." I mumble.

When I was younger, about seventy-five to ninety-two, I was very ill. My entire body ached in pain, my red eye went blind, my fangs bothered me so much that I couldn't drink blood, and whenever I turn into my raven form, I would only transform halfway.

My parents told me that they never seen anything like it and took me to see a witch; the same one we're currently visiting. She said that my sickness was unusual for a normal demon or vampire and never seen anything like it.

But, she pulled through and healed me. I haven't gotten sick after that, but Mum insists on having monthly checkups with her in case something does come up.

"Well, if we're lucky, Acantha will see us and not turn us into animals. But we have to go right now." Father announces as he walks toward my mum.

"Portal or running?" Mum asks while she places her hand on the back of my father's elbow and resting her head against his shoulder. Another pang of longing hits me as I watch them interact. I want that as well. . .

"Garrick? What do you think?" Father questions me, kissing my mother's forehead.

"Er, running? I want to see the landscape around here." I reply.

"Very well." Father responds before running off with mum right beside him and me following close behind.

*          *          *

"You're late. Luckily for you, no one comes to see me just yet." The blond witch hisses with a playful smirk on her lips, showing she's not angry.

Acantha Devine, one of the oldest witch remaining, runs an apothecary shop for humans in need of medical treatment that require some magic to perform. However, the real magic was behind her shop and only creatures of the night could see the door she enchanted outside. Her mother and my mum have known each other for centuries but Acantha was the one who cured me of my strange illness. I have never seen her mother before, but I know everything Acantha knows was thanks to her mother.

"I'm truly sorry but my son here delayed us." Mum apologizes and walks to her, giving her a small embrace which she returns.

"I can't stay mad at you. Not after what you have done for me and my family." Acantha replies. "What seems to be the problem this time?"