Chapter 37: Bringing to Light a Mystery

"Have you ever wondered where my parents run off to?" I ask the demon sitting in front of me with frosting all over his mouth.

About a month has passed since my failed attempt of getting the twins to take responsibility for the murders. During this time, I stayed with Damian in the city of London. Unlike Galvin's neighborhood, Damian's residency is more in the upper class portion. I explained what happened and he took me in without a second thought. Not before he smugly tells me how much he was right about the twins, of course.

We spent the rest of that night discussing that awful conversation with my family and tried to understand why they did not believe us. Because I find sitting down for hours at length to be dull, I took control of Damian's kitchen and baked one of his favorite pastries as we talked. Our arguments consisted of slapping his hands away from the batter along with why his ideas were far fetched.

"Nope! It's none of my business what they're doing. For all I know, they could be having sex in one of the underground clubs I took you to." Damian replies almost too cheerfully, but that could be the sugar from the cake he has consumed.

"Really? That does not strike you as strange?" Galvin ponders from his seat which was to my right.

During the month I spent with Damian, I continue my investigations with Galvin. He was rather surprised to learn that Damian lives closeby to him. Though, he was also astonished to learn about my suspicions revolving the twins. I almost didn't want to share that bit of information to him until I have received enough evidence to even consider Jasmine and Aidan as suspects, but it couldn't be helped when he began to ask questions about my new living arrangements. Somewhere along there, our topic shifted to my parents.

"I have always assumed that they go to their business meetings. What I don't fully understand is why they would be so lenient on the twins if they are never present? Lately, they have been going to these meetings that I had to ask Kang-Dae to babysit Lily while I'm here with Galvin." I add before taking a sip of my tea.

"Lately as in before or after you came to live with me, Garrick?" Damian specifies with a sly smirk on his frosted covered lips. I am quite tempted to snatch the pastry from his hands and wipe away his mess. But seeing as I am in front of my contractor and I rather not risk having my hand so close to his face, I simply answered him with a low snarl resonating from my throat.

"Regardless of Garrick's new living arrangements, I would consider it odd that your parents allow any type of deviancy from them. Especially since you are supposed to be discreet." Galvin states while I pick up a napkin and wipe away Damian's lips with it.

Damian glares at me, but I chose to ignore him as I add on to Galvin's statement. "You are absolutely right, Galvin. Our main priority is always discretion. The humans can never that we exist among them."

"With some exceptions like you, handsome." Damian declares once I finished cleaning him.

"Yes, with some exceptions including myself. . . That begs the question about Garrick's parents being lenient on the twins. However, I can see why they are not as worried as you." Galvin notes which instantly caught my attention.

"How can you see that?" I ask, curious to see how he can see in their perspective.

"Think about it, Garrick. Based on our findings, we know that Jack the Ripper is a supernatural creature like you and Damian. We ruled out demons because Damian said demons never leave a body recognizable if there was a body left behind. You told me that a vampire would either erase the memories of their encounter or kill them by the throat. Whereas Scotland Yard has yet to have a prime suspect." Galvin explains, but I do not see his point.