Chapter 1: My Raven's Name

I never intended on following this vampire to his home in this humongous castle of his nor allowing him to make me his pet and giving my raven body a name. Originally, I went out to stretch my wings a bit after traveling all the way from London, England to Hunedoara, Romania. However, as I was flying, I found this vampire shouting at nobody in the woods.

Despite my better judgement of simply leaving him to his madness, I flew down to the nearest tree branch to him and listened to him vent about someone named Lucius. I made the mistake of releasing a caw and grabbing his attention. But, I don't mind; I figured I could take him as my friend.

"Hmm. . . How about Doru? Short, simple, and easy to remember." The vampire asks even though he knows I won't be able to answer.

Doru? Why the bloody hell no would he give that as my name? But I suppose it'll have to do. . . I can't have him freaking out that I am a person with a name right now. . . I let out a small caw in agreement.

"Doru. . . It means 'longing' in my native tongue, you know? I think it's a good fit for you since I have no one to talk to. . ." The vampire muses.

"Well, I have a younger twin brother but we don't talk to each other. He just makes me mad that I want to beat some sense into that pathetic excuse of a vampire. I can give you a whole list on why he's so damn pathetic but the thing that makes me hate him the most is that the fact that he has something I want. Freedom." He informs.

That explains it. But how come he feels this way towards his younger brother? I caw again and flap my wings a bit, hoping he could explain to me why he feel that way towards his twin. He must have noticed my confusion because he continues to explain what he meant.

"You see, I'm being pressured to take the throne once I'm a thousand years old and as the oldest, I can't turn my back on it. My brother is fortunate to being the younger one. He gets to live normally while I'm stuck having our father constantly pressuring me about my throne. But I don't even want to be king!" He tells me. He's a prince?! Not only that but the future king?! I didn't know there was even a monarchy within the vampire race!

"All I want is to be free to do whatever the hell I want without anyone telling me what I should and shouldn't do! But no, all I get is a mandatory meeting and watch my brother being happy with his new lover!" He confesses.

"But you know something, Doru? I'm not going to stand for this." The vampire huffs in anger. What exactly does he mean by that?

"I'm going to get rid of his so called protector." He reveals his plan to me. I caw once again but this time I want him to elaborate on his little plan.

"My reason for it is simple really, Doru. There's no way I'll allow Lucius to be happy if I'm stuck being miserable because of Father. If I can't be happy neither will he." He confirms and enters what I presumed to be his room. I fly off of his shoulder and land on top of his nightstand so that I appear as a normal raven. He walks to his bed and lies down, staring up at the ceiling.

"I will make sure he is just as miserable as me." He mutters to himself and watch as sleep took over his body. Once I knew he was in deep slumber, I flew off of the nightstand and felt my small raven form transform to my human body.

My legs stretch to their normal size as my wings elongate to my arms while my feathers root themselves back into my body except for the top of my head where it shifts from feathers to human hair. My beak shrinks back to form my lips while my ears appear from the sides of head my head.

Lastly, my pupils dilate back to my unique eyes. Emerald green on my right and a crimson red on my left. As soon as my eyes rest on the boy before my, my red eye glows and his name floats above him. Almost dancing in mid air, floating up and down in the sync with his breathing.