Chapter 30: Uncovering Hidden Secrets

"You want to do what?" I ask my contractor sitting across from me, a cup of tea in his hand.

"Roam the streets of Whitechapel on my own." Galvin repeats himself after he sips his tea.

"Why?" I question as my mind continues to process his reasons for wanting to do so. Again.

A week has passed since I found Kang-Dae at that licentious establishment and it wasn't a pleasant first few days. When I sent Kang-Dae to rest, my family had arrived from their hunting trip with the twins immediately picked up Kang-Dae's scent. And, well, the argument only escalated from there. The twins, or rather Jasmine, made a huge fuss about bringing in complete strangers into our home that would've resorted in sending Kang-Dae away if it weren't for Lily taking a liking to him.

Prior to Jasmine attempting to persuade our parents into forcing me to send Kang-Dae away, Lily went to her room to avoid seeing us fight. In the midst of Jasmine's shouting, Lily came downstairs with a small bunny in her hands and asked me where I found him. I was at loss for words because I didn't know how Lily found the creature until it hopped out of her hands and shifted to Kang-Dae. Long story short, Kang-Dae was able to stay and Lily made a new friend. Though, Jasmine wasn't pleased with our new house guest and has never bothered to interact with him along with Aidan.

Still, I did my best to make Kang-Dae feel at home with me. That being said, I kept Kang-Dae informed of what consists of my current schedule which is occasionally meeting with my contractor to discuss the serial killer he's still investigating. Hence, my current predicament. Allowing Galvin to patrol the streets late in the evening without me there to keep him safe.

"And why should I let you do such a thing?" I ask, keeping my tone even so as not to resort into shouting at him how terrible of an idea that is.

"Because if you're right about the killer being a vampire, he can sense your presence. Then, he'll run off before I can get close enough." Galvin answers as though it should have been obvious. Unfortunately for me, his argument is valid. That is a likely possibility that I never wanted him to know about.

"Fair point, but what if he has you trapped? What if he smells your scent and decides to make you his next victim? What then, Galvin?" I counter while I lean back against my chair and cross my arms.

"I'll summon you. You'll be able to find me and save me from my untimely death." Galvin rebuttals, smiling a bit cheekily. I have to stop bringing Damian to our meetings. He's become a bad influence on him.

And yet, I can't argue against that. How do I tell him that in searching for that vampire alone would put his life at risk? More at risk than it was before he took me as his demon contractor? By himself, his ignorance would have kept him safe from the creatures that lurk within the shadows with the odds of becoming a meal slim. But with a demon contractor as an ace up his sleeve, everything could go wrong for him. The vampire wouldn't hesitate in killing him once he senses my seal on him, he could make a meal out of him, he could frame the murder on him, and loads of other possibilities. I can't gamble his life for some chance of catching him in the act.

"That is true, but I won't risk your life to do this. You're not going out there on your own without me." I state firmly, my gaze hardening. I will not be swayed, he's not going search for him alone.

"Garrick, I'm going there alone and you're not going to follow me. If I see you there, I'll call the whole thing off." Galvin threatens which has brought on what I'm assuming to be an astonished expression.

"You can't do that." I respond without a lack of better words to say.

"Yes, I can. The contract was a verbal agreement between the two of us and no eye witness to prove such a thing." Galvin adds at the same time his lips form a ghost of a smirk on his lips. He thinks he has the upper hand.