Chapter 19: Contract Development

"A contract?" The human repeats in confusion.

"A contract in which it could benefit the two of us. Is there anything you wish for? An impossible dream that you want to achieve?" I answer and take a step back from him, examining his appearance.

He's just about as tall as me, only slightly shorter, but he could have easily look taller from the muscles that are hidden underneath the suit he's currently wearing. Despite the lack of light up here on the rooftop, my eyes visibly shows me his entire physique as clear as day. Short dark brown hair with brown eyes and a light tan on his skin. Quite an attractive human, but not the one for me. My heart is still with Alexandru and this human might be able to help me locate him if I have him as my contractor.

"I know what a contract is! I meant to say, how can we make a contract? How does this even work? Am I supposed to sell my soul to you? How do I know you're going to uphold it? What will happen if I refuse to hand my soul over to you?" He bombards with each question making him panic which made his heart beat faster than normal.

"Calm down before you hyperventilate. Take a deep breath in and relax. I'll answer your questions, but only if you calm yourself. Alright?" I order in an even tone and took a deep inhale myself. He follows my instructions while his heart beat slowing back down to normal.

After giving him a moment to recover fully from his almost panic attack, I ask him, "Feeling better?"

"Y-yes. . . I think so. . ." He informs, nodding his head.

"Alright then. Here's what I know, we both tell each other what it is we want for the other to do. Next, I recite our contract and brand you with my pentagram to let the other demons know that you're mine." I start my explanation for forming contracts that Damian has taught me after the birth of Luka.

"I'm yours how? In what way will I be yours?" The young man questions.

"Normally, you will be mine in terms of your soul. Being branded with my pentagram will entitle me to claim your soul, but I won't accept your soul." I explain briefly.

"You don't want my soul?" He ponders and tilts his head.

Shaking my head as my response, I add, "No, I don't want your soul. What I want is something that your occupation could be of use to me."

"You want me to find something for you? Can't you do that on your own with your demonic powers?" He asks, his voice full of confusion.

"My powers are limited and I can't afford to be caught. I'll explain my end of the contract soon. For now, I want you to know that forming a contract with me won't cost you your soul. Only your skills as a journalist. I will keep our agreement for as long as the contract stands. If you wish that I provide some sort of proof of my sincerity, you are welcome to test me in any way you want after we create the contract." I state as I watch him taking all of what I said in.

Having this journalist might be able to help me gain access to some address book that could give any clues of Alexandru's whereabouts. Or even see if any immigrants coming in could be Alexandru and his family. I wonder this in case Alexandru did indeed moved since stumbling upon his castle was out of sheer luck most of the time. From what I remember about the history of vampires, their king hired some witches to conceal his castle.

That is why I want to look for him. When I return to Romania, I won't be able to find his castle again and I highly doubt he will be outside yelling at trees like last time. No, if I'm to find Alexandru, I have to use every resource at my disposal. Right now, a reporter might be a potential asset to my search.

"So, if I form a contract with you, all you want is my skills as a journalist? Not my soul?" The human male repeats cautiously once again.

Though, I don't really blame him. A vampire-demon hybrid, not even a real demon, asks to form a contract with them and they don't want their souls. In anyone's perspective, I would be seen as a very suspicious being. I don't care what they think of me, I am not going to consume a soul.