Chapter 4: Angelic Encounter

"Who are you?" I ask the boy before me.

"My name is Azrael." He answers, holding his hand out to me.

I accept his hand and allow him to help me stand. Now that I'm standing upright and my dizziness left, I take in Azrael's appearance. He is just as tall as I am, but not much. His hair is short and a dark brown color which matches his dark brown eyes.

"A pleasure to meet you, Azrael. Forgive me for asking, but how do you know my name?" I question.

"The angels are constantly talking about you." Azrael informs me.

"Pardon? Did you say angels?" I ask, taken aback. He didn't mean actual angels. . .

"Yes, Garrick. I do mean actual angels, the ones from Heaven. Although, most of them are not exactly happy of your background." Azrael replies.

"How did you. . . How were able to. . . What?!" I struggle to form a question.

"I heard your thoughts." Azrael confirms my unspoken question.

"There's no bloody way you could have heard my thoughts; no one human that is." I counter.

"That is because I am an angel. An guardian angel. Your guardian angel." Azrael explains.

"M-my guardian angel? No. . . I must be dreaming. Y-you're a hallucination. Demons like me don't get guardian angels. We're enemies." I object.

"I know that both of our kinds are not in the friendliest of terms, but I am your guardian angel and technically, you're not a demon. You are half demon and half vampire." Azrael points out.

"Like that makes any difference. . ." I murmur, mostly to myself.

"It makes all the difference! Vampires are less hated by angels and some of my brothers and sisters look past your demonic and vampiric ethnicity." Azrael tries to cheer me up. It doesn't.

"I have to return home. My mother will lock me in my room with salt if I don't hurry." I fib. Well, it's not exactly a lie. Mum will lock me in my room for the next century.

"I sincerely doubt your mother would do that to you if you are not home." Azrael comments.

"She will if I don't head home right now. It's been a pleasure to meet you Azrael and to tell me that brilliant joke of being my guardian angel. Have a good evening." I dismiss before breaking into a run with the help of my vampire powers of enhanced speed. Hopefully it is enough to lose the so called angel from my trail.

My temporary house appears before my eyes and for once, I felt relieved to see its presence. A couple of more steps and I will be safe inside its' walls I came to despise a short while ago. Once the front door was within arm's length, I reach my hand out to twist the doorknob and open it.

"Mother, Father! I have returned! I apologize for arriving this late!" I announce but as I walk inside, I find myself in an unfamiliar room.

"What is the meaning of this?!" I shout furiously.

"I didn't get to bid you a proper farewell when you ran off like that, Garrick." The angel's voice states from behind me.

"Bugger." I mumble under my breath and turn to face the strange boy.

He doesn't look to be my age. Then again, I'm bloody a hundred and twenty-five years old. If I were a human, I could appear as a young man at fourteen. "I have to ask, are you really that young? Because I find it odd any angel could be at that age."

"No, this is not my actual age. But, we are getting off topic. You need to understand what I meant earlier-" Azrael starts.

"The whole bit of being my bloody guardian angel? I'm sorry but I still think you have the wrong hybrid." I argue while my eyes scan for any exits. Unfortunately for me, there were none.