Chapter 32: Limitations on the Body

Why does my eye sting? Where am I? What was I. . . Wasn't I doing something? I can't remember. . . Why can't I remember? Did it have to do with my demon eye?

". . . Ick? Can you he. . .?" I hear someone's voice say, but I can't pinpoint who said that.

"Look what you've. . . could be dead be. . . you!" Another voice shouts.

"He's not dead. . . he's breathing. . ." A third voice points out though he sounded much more clearer than the previous two voices.

"Really? Garrick, can you hear me? Say something to tell us that you're not dead like Luka says!" Damian yells, sounding a lot closer to me which could explain why I could hear him better.

"Stop screaming at my ear. . ." I mumble as I open my eyes and see Damian, Luka, and Kang-Dae looking down at me with worried expressions. Well, Damian's was more concern than worried.

"What the bloody hell happened, Garrick?" Luka asks while I try to stand. However, someone's hand prevents from doing so and gently pushes me back down on my mattress.

I guess they moved me to my room? How long was I unconscious? I ponder while I look around the room. Damian was kneeling to my left, Luka was at the edge of my bed and Kang-Dae was by the window.

"That's what I like to know. Damian? Care to provide us with an explanation?" I respond and turn my attention to Damian.

"Why me?" Damian questions, confusion easily clear in his voice.

"Because you were the one that told him to try that tracking spell in the first place!" Luka hisses venomously.

"Yes, because it was an easy enough spell to cast! A newborn demon could do it!" Damian snarls with the same hostility, if not more than Luka.

"Clearly, it wasn't!" Luka snaps which would have brought on a fight between them if I haven't interfered.

"Calm yourselves, you two. There has to be an explanation for this. Damian, you said that tracking is a simple cast. Why do you think that?" I question.

"You don't need so many things to perform it. As long as you have either a bond with them or have something of theirs, no matter how minuscule, you should be able to locate him in minutes." Damian explains dismissively.

"I don't own any of Alexandru's belongings, but I would like to think that I have a bond with him. I'm in love with him." I answer and turn to look at Kang-Dae for any change in his expression.

I haven't gotten around to telling Kang-Dae of my affections for the future king of the vampires until now. Actually, I was hoping to delay this encounter for when I finished with my contract. I suppose now there's no avoiding it and hope he doesn't judge me. Not because I saved him from his captor, but that the little time we spent together should give him some idea of the type of person I am.

However, there wasn't a shift in Kang-Dae's expression. That prompt me to ask, "This doesn't bother you?"

"No, of course not. I've had masters who gave me to their friends, both genders and what seems like every species there are. If you love this Alexandru, by all means, find him so you tell him how you feel." Kang-Dae responds in a neutral tone. That settles that.

"Then we're all in the same bloody boat. Damian, why did Garrick faint? If the spell is easy to cast, why did he cried blood from his demon eye before losing consciousness?" Luka demands, his eyes glaring at him. He's clearly still peeved, but I'm glad that he's not going to fight him.

"I don't know! I thought having Garrick in love with the vampire would be enough to find him!" Damian protests as Kang-Dae comes to sit next to me.