Chapter 3: My Lonely Master

What the bloody hell was all that about? The fate of the world depends on me? I will kill to save everyone? My flesh and blood will perish and I'm going to be alone until someone who needs me finds me? But I must be weary of who I love?

What is all that rubbish? How could I save the world? I'm not a killer. I do not kill anything, not even the humans I drink from.

Acantha must have mistaken me for someone else. There's no way I'm the one she meant in her prophecy. I thought to myself as I shake my head.

"What's wrong, Doru? You don't like this berry?" My master's voice draws me from my thoughts.

It's been a week since I was with Acantha and her spontaneous prophecy foretelling but she doesn't remember it. At least, not the words. She explained that it was her first prophecy and usually, witches remember it. However, when something like what happened between us occurs, the witches won't remember because the prophecy is for whom it concerns.

I still don't believe it's for me and it didn't helped that my parents are now acting strange after we left Acantha's place. Always staring at me with caution in their eyes but I don't understand why. It's not like I'm not going to kill them. I love my parents. But lately, they've been too protective and I need a breather.

"Then, want to come with me for some hunting?" Alexandru asks, placing the fruit bowl on his nightstand.

I have nothing else to do and I really don't want to return home, I thought and release a caw, hoping he takes it as a yes.

Alexandru lets out a soft chuckle and brings his palm out in front of me. I hop onto his semi cold open palm and steady myself as he moves me toward his shoulder. I perch on his shoulder and take a good look of his handsome face.

A flawless tan skin, short brown hair, and the brightest eyes I ever seen. They were as blue as sapphires. No doubt he's popular with the women with that beautiful face of his. . .

"All ready to go?" Alexandru questions. I nod my head in response and tighten my grip on his shoulder as he walks out of his room.

*           *           *

How can he devour that human like that? I thought as I watch Alexandru drink the blood of some girl that took an interest in him. He's not killing her but he is drinking her blood at a rapid pace. I think I'm feeling ill. . . I hope I don't vomit in front of him. . .

"Forget everything. Go home." Alexandru orders the human after he drank his fill from the girl. She nods her head and walks away without another word, disappearing from sight. "You're not in any hurry to get back in that castle, are you Doru?"

No, not really. I rather like it out here in the woods than inside that castle of yours. I wished I could say to him but settled in cawing.

"Good, let's go for a stroll then." Alexandru declares and walks ahead in the opposite direction of his castle. I flew to his shoulder and face him again, hoping he could start another one sided conversation.

Alexandru didn't talk for awhile until ten minutes of silence came between us and I flew off of his shoulder. Landing on a branch, I watch him lowering himself the ground with his hands under his head and his eyes staring at the night sky. He looks completely at ease. Not one sign of his worries etch his beautiful face. A soft caw escapes my beak as I fly over to his chest and settle down, staring at him.

"This is nice. . . Laying here on the ground without any worries. Too bad I can't enjoy it for long. . ." Alexandru murmurs, gently petting the top of my head.