Chapter 6: Deathly Visit

"Are you out of your bloody mind?! No! Absolutely not!" I protest furiously. How dare he tells me to eat this innocent girl's soul when I specially informed him that I draw a line at consuming them?! I won't go through with this!

"You need to learn how to be a proper demon and demons are known to eat souls or negotiate into taking custody of one." Damian scolds and walks to the girl who I noticed is very young. At most, ten or so.

"I'm not going to eat her soul! She's too young to-" I begin before Damian interrupts me.

"Die? Garrick, everyone dies at some point and this girl is no different! She has nobody and will not be missed! By eating her soul, you'll be doing her a favor in leaving this awful world!" Damian explains.

Shaking my head in defiance, I back away from the loon. "I'm not going to eat her soul and that's final, Damian!" I declare firmly and ignite my transformation into a raven.

My bones shrink back to my animal form as my feathers grow out from my skin. My feet turn to talons, my hair into feathers, my lips to a beak, my arms into wings and my eyes dilate to a black pupil. As soon as I became a raven, I hastily flap my wings and fly up to the sky before Damian could have gotten the chance to grab me.

I have to leave. . . I have to go there. Damn, I'm already late! I hope he hasn't grown suspicious. . . The gothic castle I came to know from my frequent visits comes into view along with an open window where I see the vampire prince pacing in his room. What could be on his mind right now?

I quietly flew into my friend's room and land on the windowsill, watching the vampire prince lost in thought. Whatever is on his mind has him completely focus on it for he hasn't noticed my presence at all. Perhaps, I should signal him that I'm here? I thought then let out a caw.

Alexandru's head quickly turns to face me and smiles as he walks to me. "How long were you waiting there for me? You could have just said something the minute you walked in, Doru." He chuckles. "Come here, you must be hungry right?"

Yes! I'm starving! I thought and flew to his shoulder, nuzzling my head into his cheek. Maybe I can show him my true self today and we can finally meet properly. . .

"I'll go get you some berries." Alexandru declares, walking off to the kitchen with me still on his shoulder.

After he gathered a bowl of my favorite berries and watched me eat them, Alexandru takes me outside so he could do some hunting. I'm thinking whether or not now is a good time for me to revert to my normal self since I have prolonged it for too long and I don't know how much longer I can keep this act up. I'll just wait until he's done feeding.

Alexandru heads off to the village and looks for someone to drink off. But something feels off about the village. It looks vaguely familiar. Isn't this where Damian wanted me to learn how to be a proper demon? Before I could go any further with my question, my eyes pick up on a dark figure, who I automatically assume it to be Damian, a few yards away from where I'm sitting.

He's found me! I thought and let out a caw to alarm Alexandru but he's not listening to me. He's too busy devouring the human's blood. I must leave now while I can. By doing that, I could prevent Damian from seeing Alexandru and I won't get into any trouble with my parents. Yes, I have to leave right now if I'm to protect my friend.

Taking one glance at Alexandru drinking the blood of his meal, I silently flew off from my post on a tree branch and head toward the woods. Assuming that Damian spotted me and has decided to chase after me, I venture deeper into the woods until an idea popped into my head.

If I fly high above the trees, I could blend with the rest of the animals still up and about. Diving sky high to the trees for coverage, I observe the ground below me and see that I was right about Damian chasing me. I better come up with an excuse for leaving him. I thought to myself while I fly back down to him.