Chapter 14: Friendless

I was wrong. My parents weren't angry or disappointed. They were furious with me. At first, they were worried about me. They asked the usual questions: am I hurt anywhere? Was I seen by anyone? Did anyone noticed I was different? Did I get any dizziness?

The answers to their questions were no and that calmed them down before they started scolding me. Mum was the one who did most of the scolding; Father simply stood there with a rigid posture and his jaw clenched. I'm presuming he's trying to restrain himself from lashing his anger directly at me.

"Did you have any idea how terrified we were when Damian told us where you went?! How could you even consider thinking about going inside those vampires' ball?! They could've noticed you immediately if it weren't for Acantha's spell!" Mother screeches. I wisely remained quiet and listened to her vent how much danger I positioned myself.

"Do you have anything to say?!" Mother screams angrily, a scowl on her face.

"Other than I'm sorry for sneaking out? No." I answer calmly. That wasn't the answer she was looking for.

"You're not going to tell us why you went to their ball?" Mother accuses.

"Didn't Damian already told you why?" I remark rhetorically as my eyes flicker over to the knight standing a few steps to the side from my parents.

Damian had his attention fixated on the wooden floor of our living room as though it was the most interesting thing right now. I'm not surprised that Damian would go behind my back to tell my parents of my whereabouts. He did warn me that he would go tell them, I simply didn't care. I only hope he hasn't told them anything else. For instance, my love for the vampire prince and having a guardian angel watching over me.

"Unfortunately, no. He said that it would be better if you told us why you went there," Mother grumbles and crosses her arms across her chest, making her look annoyed.

Why didn't he tell them the reason why I went to that ball? I ponder silently while I briefly shift my attention to Damian. He's still staring at the ground, uninterested in my parents' scolding. Why didn't he tell them? I'm going to have to ask him later.

"So? Why were you in the royal vampires' ball, Garrick?" Mother asks in a less hysterical tone that the last time she asked me.

I suppose she's calming down. . . What the hell am I going to tell her? I'm not so stupid as to tell her that I wanted to go introduce myself to Alexandru. Then, explain how he didn't even give the time of day to talk to me civilly. If I told them that, they'll be smug about it; telling me that's how vampires act, especially royal vampires.

Plus, it's bloody embarrassing. Me going straight into the lion's den in hopes of talking to one vampire only to be rejected after one exchange of greetings. Twice. Damian would never let me forget it and my parents would only make a lesson out of it. Though, a half truth won't kill me.

"I wanted to see who they were. The royal vampire families, I mean. I wanted to see what was so bad about them. . ." I fib.

"Oh? So, now you see why we told you not get near them?" Mother questions while her right eyebrow rises higher than her left one. A half lie won't hurt anyone, right?

"Yes. . . I understand why. . . I'm sorry for sneaking out. . ." I feign being guilty.

In all honesty, I can see why they hate the Negrescu family. The King is a bloody control freak, more so than what I thought to believe a king should act. Especially towards his son Alexandru and speaking of him, he has anger issues that need to be checked since he practically banned me from coming anywhere near him.

But, he is not a bad person. I know he isn't; I caught him at the wrong moment twice and I should've known better than to approach him. I simply have to wait for the next time I can see him and try again. Hopefully then, he wouldn't be so angry that he'll order me to never see him again.