1

"Jayce!" Elvire smiled as she entered Jayce's lab. "Oh, hey Elvira," he responded not even looking up from his notes. Elvira walked around his lab, looking at all his stuff. There was his desk, which was covered in papers and notes. Then there was his other tables, shelves, and his 'other' desk, which was also covered in papers and notes. And her favorite part was the little corner where he had his experiments. 

There were many different gadgets stuffed away in the corner, either due to them not working properly or Jayce finding something new to work on. Something better. 

"My father sent me a letter today," Elvira started, causing Jayce to look up from his notes for the first time since she had arrived. "What did he say?" "He's coming back to Piltover in a few days," Elvira leaned against his desk, running her hands through her hair. "Oh, that's good, isn't it?" he asked her, confused at her stressed reaction. 

Elvira's father had been traveling around in Ionia to help people and had been gone for a year. "I mean it is, but I'm nervous. I haven't really made any breakthroughs with my tinkering, so he will probably be disappointed," she admitted and Jayce just chuckled. "Elvira, you are 20 years old. You're young, you will get many breakthroughs and you will create many great things, but you just need to be patient!" "I'm only 4 years younger than you Jayce, don't be cocky," she pouted and Jayce chuckled again.

"4 years is a lot when it comes to science," Jayce crossed his arms over his chest. "Um, no? 4 years is nothing when it comes to science," Elvira chuckled. "I'm trying to be smart here?" "Oh, Jayce the big smart guy is outsmarted by a 20-year-old fetus," Elvira mocked him. "I could kick you out of my lab if you don't stop mocking me," he threatened, but Elvira knew he would never. His mother would murder him. "No, you wouldn't." 

"Ok fine, but only because you're my cousin, and I promised your father I would look after you while he was gone." "Fetus 20-year-old."

"Indeed you are."

"So how are you coming along with your project?" she asked looking down at his notes. There was so much written and drawn on the pages that you could hardly tell what color the paper itself was. "I'm so close Elvira, I just need a few more items. I'm actually thinking of going to get them today," he said as he handed her a list of the things he needed. 

"Jayce, this isn't exactly legal stuff, where are you going to get this?" "The undercity," he deadpanned and Elvira gave him the look. "Are you sure that's a good idea? What if they find out about that at the academy, that wouldn't look so good for you." "Well then I'll just have to make sure they don't find out," he shrugged his shoulders. 

"I mean it's your career on the line, so do as you please, but please just be careful?" "I will. I'm always careful." "No Jayce, you're very rarely careful." He just shrugged at her comment before turning back to his notes. "Well, I'll leave you be. I need to work on my plant anyway," Elvira pushed herself away from the desk and headed over to the door. "Good luck." "Oh, you too," he waved back before she left. 

She walked down the streets of Piltover pondering about different things. 

The only reason Elvira wanted to attend the academy was so she could help others. But she had yet to come up with an invention that could truly be of help to anyone. She had actually never been able to help anyone with anything. She had offered her help to Jayce when she found out about his project, but he insisted that he didn't want to get her mixed up with all this and that she was still young (a whole four years younger), so she was less intelligent than him anyway.

Well, he didn't say those words directly to her, but the way he declined her offer made it pretty obvious that he thought of her that way. So she wanted to prove herself to both her father and her cousin, but also to Piltover, the city of progress. 

She had been working on a plant, along with her friend from the academy, Aya. The goal was for the plant to be able to regenerate any damage done to it within seconds, but so far they were only able to grow out a new petal, and the process was two hours. So they still had a long way to go. 

She was quickly snapped out of her thoughts when she walked into someone. "Oh, I am so terribly sorry!" she panicked as she looked up at the person she had bumped into. "It's fine," he stressed as he tried to get away, small spots of blood trailing behind him. He's hurt.

"Wait, let me help you, you're hurt!" Elvira yelled after the stranger who had just rounded a corner and was out of sight. She quickly followed him, and barely managed to catch sight of him before he rounded another corner, venturing further and further into the maze of a street. He snuck in between two buildings and into a dead end. But when Elvira caught up to him, he was nowhere to be seen. 

But she could hear him. Or she assumed it was him? There was some sort of clanking and thumping noises coming from a vent in the wall, and it seemed to be a tunnel of the sort. Elvira carefully removed the vent that he had clumsily tried to put back in place. "Interesting," she muttered to herself, before letting her better judgment get to her, she quickly jumped into the tunnel and slid down it. 

She tumbled around inside the unsteady tunnel for a whole minute before she was spit out and landed on hard gravel. "Why the fuck are you following me?" a voice spoke through gritted teeth, causing Elvira to look up from the ground. She noticed the boy she had bumped into earlier sitting against the wall, clutching his sides.

"I... I don't know actually," she rubbed the back of her neck. "You were dripping blood, so I assumed you were hurt. And judging by the way you're clutching your sides right now, I also assume I was right." She walked over and bent down, still a good distance away from him.

"You just followed a stranger down an unknown tunnel because they looked hurt?" he snorted. "Yes," she deadpanned. "You're dangerously stupid and naive, do you know that?" "No, I really am not. I am just kind." "What if I were a murderer?" he asked her. 

"Well, murder me then," she said while spreading her arms open. He snorted again. "If you were dangerous, I doubt you could do any harm to me in the state you're in at the moment. You can't even stand," she crossed her arms across her chest and looked at him. He grits his teeth in annoyance. "I also doubt you are a very big threat in the first place, considering you managed to get this hurt, in Piltover," she added. "Ok listen here you little," the boy started, but Elvira held up a single finger silencing him. 

"No, you listen to me."

He quickly shut up, mostly because he was intrigued. "You're from the undercity, am I correct?" he nodded. "Wonderful. Show me around," she said. "What?" "You heard me." "No way, I'm not showing a weak girl around here," he said, laughing at the idea. "Weak? Well, you're not a good judge of character, are you."

"Anyway, I'm gonna heal your wound, but only if you show me around a little. Just a few hours, it's getting late anyway." "Heal my wounds? No thank you, I can manage that very well on my own thanks." "I don't think you understand," she said as she walked closer to him, fixing her eyes on a small cut on his arm that he probably got just now from sliding down the not-so-safe slide. 

She grabbed onto his arm, and even though he tried to pull his arm out of her grasp, he quickly stopped when he noticed what she was doing. She was hovering her fingers slightly above the small cut, and a small glow formed around her fingers, and the cut healed itself.

"I mean I can heal your wound."