55

Ash had left to help deal with the dead bodies in the streets, so Viktor had been put on Elvira watch.

"Tell me again why I need a babysitter?" she asked as she leaned her head against the wall behind her bed that she was not allowed to leave.

"Because," Viktor started as he walked over to her, from where he was standing by the desk, mixing something in a cup. "You can not be trusted to not leave this bed. If I know you right, you're itching to just get up and do something, am I wrong?"

Elvira refused to meet his stare, and he took her silence as agreement. Elvira did however look at him when she heard him sit down in the chair next to her bed, and she saw him holding the class he just mixed. He noticed her looking at it, and held it out to her. "It's for the pain."

Elvira grabbed the glass and brought it up to her nose to sniff it, before drinking it. "What, did you think it was poison?" Viktor laughed, and Elvira wiped her mouth before answering. "I don't know, it could have been a sleeping draught. To keep me from moving too much."

"That's not too bad of an idea actually," Viktor mused while leaning back in the chair. "So how many?" Elvira asked while looking at the cup she was fiddling with. "Huh?"

"Dead. How many dead." Elvira looked at Viktor with fear, disappointment, and shame on her face. "A lot. On both sides," Viktor admitted. No point in lying.

"Fuck." Elvira took a deep breath before tossing the cup across the room, the glass shattering as it hit the wall. Viktor didn't even flinch at the sudden outburst, as if he was expecting it. "Anyone I..." "No." Viktor interrupted. "None of our friends died."

Elvira let out a relieved sigh but quickly felt guilty for feeling relieved. A lot of people still died, and she was ashamed that it didn't bother her as much as if it were anyone she cared for. "Stop it. I can read you like a book Elvira."

Elvira looked at Viktor, showing him that she was listening to him. "It's natural that you are relieved that they're ok. Even if Caitlyn and Jayce are on the enemy side, you still care for them. So please, don't guilt yourself."

Elvira looked down at her hands. The metal on her one arm was covered in scraped and dents and looked really beat up. Her fleshy arm was covered in bruises and small cuts but was otherwise not too damaged. 

Her leg, however, was bandaged up. "Did they win?" 

"The loss was equally as bad on both sides. Nobody won this war Elvira, I'm sorry."

Elvira let out a chuckle. She knew this was gonna happen. She was not surprised, at all. She tried to warn Mel, and Jayce too, that this was a war nobody could win, but they didn't listen. Elvira let a single tear fall down her cheek, while she pictured Jayce's face as he walked towards her during their battle, ready to end her. 

-------

A month had passed since the battle, and the streets had now been cleared of any bodies, and the destruction to the buildings had been made into a memorial. The kids of Zaun had been allowed to spraypaint the buildings however they wanted, and they had written down the names of every called zaunite on the artwork. 

Elvira was standing by the window of her lab, looking out on the street, at the children playing there. It was such a rare and pure thing to her. That children playing in the streets could make a place so dark and violent as Zaun, seem like any other place.

She heard the door open and close behind her, and soon she felt arms snake around her waist, hugging her close. "Have fun on your little errand?" Elvira asked as she turned around and looked at Viktor, who still held her close.