17

Viktor had left to get some much-needed sleep in his own home and not the uncomfortable couch in the lab for a change. His whole body was sore and he was tired from thinking so much. He had been thinking about all the reasons as to why Elvira could have been this sick. Jayce said she weakened her heart by using her magic, but how come she be getting worse if she's not using her magic nearly as much as she did before? He needed answers, and the only place he would get that was from Elvira herself. 

He grabbed his coat before heading out into the busy streets of Piltover, heading over to the academy to see if she was still in the lab, hopefully conscious. But as he passed Elvira's apartment, he saw someone suspicious exiting her apartment carrying her notebook under their arm. 

They were wearing clothes from the undercity and a foreign mask in the shape of a bird's face covering their face, and they kept checking their surroundings as if worried someone would catch them doing whatever it was they were doing. 

Viktor decided to follow them, as they had Elvira's notebook with them. His conclusion was that someone has broken into her place and stolen her valuable notes. Even though Viktor couldn't exactly fight the intruder, he could at least follow them and find out where they live. 

He followed them over the bridges leading to the undercity, and he studied the person carefully, wondering why they had broken in to steal Elvira's notes. Elvira wasn't very well known, and the little fame she had was due to her being a Talis, not because of anything she had achieved on her own.

But Viktor knew she was incredibly smart and talented, and she had so many ideas for inventions that he knew she would perfect one day. Maybe someone else knew that too? Maybe someone thought that since Jayce was successful, she had to have something planned too, and they wanted to steal it for themselves? He could only theorize as he followed the mysterious person deeper into the entresol levels of Zaun. 

But then the person stopped. "Sparrow!" a young girl cried as she ran over to the thief, showing her the bloody leg she had. "You're hurt," the thief replied, and Viktor heard that it was a woman behind the disguise, but he had figured as much already, due to her short and thin form.

"Here," she said as she bent down to the young girl's level, and brought her hand closer to her bloody leg. She twirled her fingers, summoning a warm glow of light as the cut healed itself. The young girl smiled brighter than Viktor had ever seen a child in Zaun smile, and it brought a faint smile to his own face as he watched the young girl look at her now healed leg in wonder. "You really are magical, thank you, thank you, thank you!" the girl jumped on the spot before taking off to join her friends again.

The masked female stood up straight again, brushing off her pants before she started walking again, swaying a little as she walked. 

Viktor prided himself on his intelligence, and he usually solved a problem before it even had a chance to be a problem, but it took him 5 minutes of walking before it clicked in his head. Elvira's apartment, her notes, the Ionian-styled mask, healing magic, swaying after using said magic. This was Elvira.

She stopped at the top of some stairs, holding onto the rails for support as she caught her breath. Viktor was worried for her, as he knew she had overused her magic and he heard Jayce's words in the back of his head. She's drawing magic from her heart, weakening it.

But he didn't help her, and he didn't make a single sound. He knew very well that if she found out he was following her, she would not lead him to her hideout. And he needed to know where it was, and then he would confront her there.

She walked down the steps and down a narrow alleyway before entering an old and rusty door. Viktor stopped in front of the door and looked around the area to see if he recognized it. He was so busy following Elvira quietly that he didn't pay attention to where he was heading.