5

"I told you," Viktor smart assed Jayce while he was carrying her over to the couch in the lab. Viktor followed them with his cane, and after Jayce lied Elvira on the sofa, he sat down in one of the chairs and rubbed his temples. 

"I have pulled many all-nighters Jayce, you don't faint from one night without sleep. Does she have any other illnesses?" he asked as he sat down in the remaining chair next to Jayce. Jayce knew very well why Elvira had fainted, and he was planning on giving her a real talk when she woke up. "No," he simply said. Viktor couldn't know. He was Heimerdinger's assistant, he would surely snitch. Even though he did help Jayce break the rules, he broke them himself even, but he still didn't know if he could trust Viktor yet. 

But he also knew from the way Viktor eyed him suspiciously that he knew he was lying. But he luckily didn't press the matter. "So you two knew each other?" Jayce asked trying to change the subject. "No, we just met in the library. I gave her a book for her project," Viktor explained. 

"Ah. Her name is Elvira Talis by the way. I was gonna introduce you before, but you know. She kinda fainted," Jayce chuckled slightly at Elvira's clumsy nature. She was smart, he knew that. But she was not so smart when it came to being careful. She always reminded him to be careful and accused him of being too reckless, but she was no better when it came to her magic. 

She was so used to using it in Ionia, it has been a rough change for her to suddenly not being able to use it like she used to. "You have the same last name," Viktor noticed. "Is she your sister?" "Cousin," Jayce corrected and Viktor nodded. 

"It doesn't seem like she'll wake up in a while. You should go do your thing. I'll look after her until she wakes," Jayce said and Viktor looked over at Elvira slightly twitching in her sleep. "Ok, I will come back in a few hours to check up on you," Viktor stood up and left the room. 

Jayce had expected Elvira to wake up within the hour, but he was very mistaken. He was now on the tenth hour of waiting, and it was the middle of the night. Viktor had been there twice with food for him now, and he was getting very tired. 

"Go home Jayce, I'm gonna work anyway, so I'll look after her," Viktor said the third time he entered the lab. "I can't. What if she's feeling bad, I promised her father I'd look after her." "Jayce, I will look after her. I am just as capable as you, if not more. You're about to fall asleep. Go home," Viktor tried to convince his lab partner to sleep. He was not useful when he was tired and grumpy.

Jayce let out a heavy sigh as he stood up. "Fine, but if she's not doing good when she wakes up, you get me!" he said sternly to Viktor, who found his behavior amusing. "Yes I will," he simply responded before Jayce finally left. 

Viktor looked over to Elvira before he got to work. He sat at his desk writing down equations, drawing blueprints, and working on small prototypes, while glancing over to her sleeping form every once in a while to make sure she was ok. 

But when she started grunting and moving more than usual, he walked over to the chair Jayce had previously sat in, and brought his notebook and pen over there. She was soon to wake up, and he had to explain everything that Jayce was supposed to tell her. 

"Viktor?" he glanced up from his notes to see her rubbing her face vigorously as she slowly sat up. "Did I faint?" "Obviously," Viktor said as he went back to his notes. He noticed suddenly that his body felt a little calmer and less uncomfortable. He looked over his notes and saw Elvira flexing and twirling her fingers in front of her, and he had to blink a few times, as he swore he saw her fingers glow a very faint white glow. 

"Where is Jayce?" she asked snapping him out of his confusion, his body now back to being uncomfortable. "He had been sitting watching over you since you fainted, and I forced him to go home and sleep about an hour or two ago." "How long was I out?" "About 12 hours," he said and Elvira stood up from the sofa very fast, causing her to get dizzy. "Please don't faint again," he sighed and she sat down quickly. "Sorry."

"I suppose Jayce owed you an explanation, but seeing as he is not here, I will try my best to explain instead," Viktor leaned back in the chair, and Elvira crossed her legs on the sofa. "So I know Jayce was arrested, and that he was banned from academy grounds. So why is he here? Why is hextech here?" she asked him. 

"So Jayce was banned from academy grounds, and his work was confiscated here in Heimerdinger's lab. But when I was looking through his notes, I was very intrigued by his theory about magic, so I went to speak to him about it. We agreed to sneak in here in the middle of the night to try and crack the mystery, and we solved it," Viktor talked, and Elvira focused on paying attention. 

Her mind was a little fuzzy and weird from her overusing her magic, but she was getting better. "We got caught, but they were so fascinated and impressed by our success that they let us off. Then for a few days straight we were in and out of council meetings to present our project. Explain what our goal was, how far we had gotten, and how we were planning to reach our goal."

"Yesterday we had our final meeting, and we were granted permission to continue our work here at the academy," he finished explaining, and Elvira was at a loss for words.

"What do you plan on using it for?" she asked after clearing her mind. "To make life easier for people that are not so fortunate. In the undercity, people die often. Too often. And I want to create a way for them to live better lives. If we're successful with hextech, it could be used as an energy source for many great inventions," he looked over to Elvira to see if he could read her thoughts on her face. But her face was blank. He couldn't see any emotion on her face, and he was wondering if she was listening to him at all. 

"What do you think about this whole situation? About the hextech?" he asked, trying to get any reaction from her. She looked up at him and met his eyes. "I have seen many horrors. And I know the feeling of wanting to help someone, even if it would cost you your life even. I support you both with hextech, I hope, no. I know that you two will do great things with it. If there is anything I could help you with, don't hesitate to ask," she said, a weird look on her face that Viktor had only seen on the faces of the people living in Zaun. Despair and grief, but hopeful. 

Viktor only nodded at her words, too lost in his own mind to form any sort of sentence. Elvira tried to stand up from the couch, knowing she needed to get back to her apartment. Both because she needed sleep, and because Aya was probably pacing back and forth so much from worrying that the floor probably has permanent damage.

"Are you feeling alright? Jayce made me promise to get him if you woke up feeling ill," Viktor leaned forward, ready to catch her if she should fall. "I'm good, thanks," she waved him off.

"Thank you for looking after me and for explaining everything. If you're interested, you're more than welcome to have a look at my project and my work, just ask Jayce to show you where my lab is," Elvira smiled and slightly bowed her head to Viktor. 

"No worries, it was nice to meet you, Elvira," he gave her a small smile. She smiled back before opening the door and stepping out. While she was making her way back home, Viktor had sat back down to continue his work. But he couldn't concentrate on his papers, as his mind kept wandering back to the conversation he had with Elvira.

He was curious as to what sort of horrors she had seen, and why her face turned so somber. She was an odd character, and Viktor made it his new project to try and figure out the mystery of Elvira Talis.