48

The pain was unbearable. Elvira felt like her body was on fire, and the shock of waking up to that pain sent a loud gasp flying out of her. "You're awake," Ash breathed out relieved as he hurried over to her bed. 

"What the fuck happened, why am I in so much pain?" Elvira asked through gritted teeth. "You don't remember?" he asked her, and she shook her head. "Here," he said while handing her a glass with some sort of white liquid in it. "I am in unbearable pain, and you're giving me a fucking glass of milk?" she yelled, and Ash had to hold back a laugh. 

"It's not milk, idiot. It's a pain reliever. Just fucking drink it," he said as he brought it t her lips, and basically forced it down her throat. "I'll bring Viktor in, he was there. He saw what happened," Ash said before heading towards the door. 

Elvira laid her head against the pillow, praying that the drug would kick in soon, so she could breathe without her entire body hurting. She remembered Jayce breaking into the lab, and she remembered Viktor ordering his robots to kill Jayce. What happened after that, was a blur to Elvira.

"You're awake," Viktor said as he walked into the room, the bags under his eyes darker than she had ever seen. Even after his many sleepless nights at the academy. "What happened," she asked, not wanting to waste any time. 

"Jayce smashed the hexgem. You were caught in the explosion when you tried to stop him," he explained, not wanting to waste time either. Elvira tried to look to her side but noticed her right eye was covered with a bandage. 

"The workers?" she asked. Viktor looked at her puzzled before he chuckled slightly. "Your entire right side of your body is wrapped up in bandages, you can't see out of your right eye, and you're asking about the workers?"

"Did they survive?" she asked again, needing an answer. "No."

"Fuck," she cursed, holding back tears. There were hundreds of innocent people there, most of them probably had families waiting for them at home. Mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons, never come home again. 

"And me?" she then asked. "We weren't able to save your leg. And your mechanical arm shattered, shredding your upper arm as well. And a part of the machine hit you in the face, leaving half your face pretty damaged. I'm not sure we can save your eye," he explained. 

Normally, this would devastate Elvira, but she had already lost part of her arm before, this was nothing new. She was more worried for the people that were killed by Jayce. "I'm sorry, I tried to stop him," she finally said after a minute of silence.

"What are you talking about?" Viktor asked confused. "Jayce. I saw him running for the hexgem with his hammer raised, I knew he was gonna smash it. I tried to stop it, but I was seconds too late. And now hundreds of innocent people are dead because I wasn't fast enough," she said as she felt a single tear roll down the left side of her face. 

"And what were you planning to do if you got there in time? There wouldn't have been anything you could have done regardless, and you would have been closer to the explosion, and we would have lost you too."

"If you hadn't ordered your bots to kill him, then maybe this would have all been prevented," Elvira said. "I didn't have any choice Elvira, you should have heard how he spoke when I visited him in Piltover," Viktor explained. 

"He has no care for the people of Zaun, he only cares about the progress of Piltover. Don't you think it hurt me to say those words? How many years of my life did I spend working alongside him on hextech?" Viktor argued. 

Elvira avoided eye contact, as she looked down at her body, the bandages wrapped around where her leg and arm used to be. 

"I'm sorry, I get your frustration. He's your family, and we lost a lot of people in that explosion. But trust me when I say this. I never wanted things to turn out like this, but I will do everything in my power to protect the people of Zaun, and to protect you."

After weeks of healing, Elvira, Viktor, and Ash were able to create a fully functional mechanical leg and an arm for her. She did mourn the loss of her limbs a little, but she didn't have time to worry about something as small as that when there was a much bigger problem brewing in Zaun.

The news of Jayce's visit traveled fast in the streets, and soon everyone had heard about the incident. Everyone was talking about Jayce, the man of progress, who had killed over a hundred factory workers and almost killed their Sparrow. People in the streets prepared themselves for an attack, and the chem barons got paranoid about who would be next to suffer from Piltover's attacks. 

And Elvira knew very well what was about to unfold, and she needed to stop it. Aya had come to visit Elvira a week after the incident, as she had been busy with paperwork and Jayce had been praised immensely in Piltover for his heroic act. 

"I need to do something to stop it, Aya," Elvira said as she was sitting in her office with Aya, talking about what was happening. 

"I get that, and I agree. But what are you going to do about it? You can't convince the entire undercity to back off, and you know damn well Piltover won't back off either," she argued. "I never said it would be an easy task, but I can't just sit here and watch it all unfold, I have to try."

Aya leaned back in her seat, thinking through everything. "There's gonna be a masquerade, in Piltover in about a week," Aya said. Elvira looked at her confused, not understanding how that would help. "You could sneak in and try to speak with Counselor Medarda, I assume she would be the easiest to convince about setting up a meeting with the council," she added. 

"A masquerade?" Elvira asked. "Yeah, to celebrate Jayce's heroism. I know, it's stupid. But it would give you a chance as blending in. With your new... look and all," she looked down at Elvira's steel arm and leg. "And it would hide your face," she looked back up at her face, which was badly scarred, almost to the point that she was unrecognizable. 

"You know I can just do this?" Elvira said while lifting her hand, placing a glamour on herself, camouflaging her like her old self, with her brown hair, and her old, human body. "Woah," Aya looked at her in awe. "But I will take you up on your offer. Will you house me while I'm there?" she asked her, and Aya nodded. "If you disguise yourself I don't see why that would be a problem," she smiled. 

"It's settled then," Elvira nodded before she turned to look at herself in the mirror she had in her office, looking at her old self. She felt almost a sort of grief thinking back at who she used to be. She was also grateful that her life had turned out the way it had, as it gave her an even stronger purpose.