34

Elvira walked through the dark streets of Zaun, her head pointed down to hide the tears on her face. What have I done, she kept asking herself, as reality started to set in. She left them all. She took a deep breath in, smelling the moist and dingy air of the undercity.

Her feet automatically moved her body towards her home, feeling lost in the new surroundings. The atmosphere of the undercity has changed a lot during the years she was gone, and so had the people. Ever since Vander had been killed, Zaun changed into an even more gloomy place. 

Her home, however, stood where it used to stand. Her door looked a little more worn down, but she had told both Powder and Ash that they could use her place for whatever they would need while she was gone.

She slowly opened the door, taking in the scent of clean air. Ash had apparently installed one of the air purifiers into her home, so the air inside the place was much cleaner than the outside. She moved over to the desk where she and Powder used to tinker with stuff, and she looked over the papers filled with crayon sketches. 

Elvira smiled a little before she walked over to the kitchen area, to see if there was any food here. Nothing. But when she was about to leave to find something to eat, the door opened to her home, causing her to stop dead in her tracks. 

In the doorway, stood a dark-haired male, carrying a big sack filled with junk. "Ash," Elvira whispered, not believing her eyes. He was so different from when she last had seen him, his hair was longer, reaching past his collarbone, half of it pulled up in a messy ponytail. His face looked sharper, and there was a nasty burn scar going from his right jaw, down the right side of his neck, and over his shoulder. 

Ash dropped the sack to the floor the second he heard the voice and lifted his eyes to look at Elvira, who had also changed. "Fuck," he breathed out, looking over her shaking body. "You're back," he whispered before he pulled her in and hugged her tightly. "I am," was all she said while she wrapped her arms around his body, holding onto him. 

"You've changed," she said as she pulled away, looking over him once more. He shrugged before taking off the jacket he was wearing, revealing his arms to now be covered in intricate tattoos that weren't there before. "Nice," Elvira said, nodding towards his arms. "Yeah, you like 'em?" he smirked at her before he grabbed the back and carried it towards the kitchen area. 

"A lot happened here while you were gone," he started as he took out a smaller bag from the big bag, containing what seemed to be food. "I can tell."

"There is a new drug going around here. It's called shimmer. If you ever come across it, don't take it," Ash warned her as he placed the food in the fridge. "Silco has completely taken over the undercity, as his kid is going crazy both down here, and topside," Ash continued explaining before sitting down on the couch next to Elvira. 

"His kid? Powder?" Elvira asked, lifting her feet up on the couch, crossing them under her. "She goes by Jinx now. She's lost her mind completely." Elvira's heart twisted thinking about Powder, or Jinx as she goes by now, slowly falling deeper and deeper into insanity. But she could relate. She had been spiraling too lately.

Ash continued to explain the changes in Zaun, before he decided to bring up the changes in Elvira. "So you left Ionia to better your health, you seem better, but different. What happened to you?" he asked, turning on the couch to face her better, wanting to give her his full attention. 

Elvira took his hand, and gently placed it on top of her heart, where there normally would be a pulse. But Ash didn't feel a pulse. Instead, he leaned closer, and heard a mechanical twisting and turning inside her chest, where her heart should have been. "I removed my heart. It was failing, and I almost died," Elvira explained when he sat up straight again.

"How does it feel?" Elvira looked down at her hands in her lap before answering him. "It feels normal, except I've lost my magic," she admitted. "No," Ash whispered, feeling his own heart ache for her. He knew how much that had impacted her without needing her to explain it. 

He had seen first hand all the good things she had done with her magic in the undercity during her years, and how many lives she had saved. "I'm so sorry," he said as he pulled her onto his lap, and held her in a tight embrace, letting her know he understood.

Even after all this time, he still had a lot of love for Elvira, and he knew that she needed someone to support her through this tough time, now more than ever. 

Viktor however, was losing his mind. After he had read the letter from Elvira, he had walked as fast as he could back to his lab, where he luckily found Jayce. "Read," he commanded as he slapped the letter from Elvira, assigned to Jayce in front of him. "What is this?" Jayce asked, but Viktor was not in the mood for questions. "Read."

Jayce took the envelope, cut it open with his pen, and pulled out a letter.

Dear Jayce.

I am sorry for leaving like this, but this needs to be done. By the time you're reading this letter, I have turned myself in to the council, along with the blueprints for the mechanical heart. With the loss of my magic, I also lost myself. Having to watch people die and get sick, when I could have helped them with my magic, hurts too much. 

Thank you for always being there for me since I moved to Piltover, and for being my support system, but mostly for being my family. I love you so much, and I am sorry, but I have left Piltover. We may meet again, but until then, take care of Viktor and Aya for me. 

From your fetus cousin, Elvira Talis.

"What is this?" Jayce asked as he laid the letter down on the table. "Is this some kind of a joke?" he stood up from his chair. "She left Jayce, why would I joke about this!" Viktor started getting annoyed at Jayce. 

"Did you tell her that the council was looking for us? How did she know?" Jayce walked closer to Viktor, who only lifted his cane and placed the end against Jayce's chest. He slightly pushed on it, causing Jayce to sit back down onto his chair, before letting out a sigh.

"First of all, do not yell at me. I did not tell her, and I did not cause her to turn herself in, so don't even try to blame this on me," Viktor said sternly. "Second of all, I do not need to answer your stupid questions, I need you to help me find her. That stupid girl probably left for the undercity, and I know where she is. Will you come with me, or not?" Viktor asked, and Jayce thought about it for a few seconds before standing up again. 

"Let's find her."