30

Months went by, and Elvira recovered from her surgery without complications. However, she had spiraled deeper and deeper into depression, from the loss of her magic. She didn't tell anyone about it, because she didn't want anyone's pity, nor did she want to sound ungrateful for her second chance at life, but it felt like she had lost herself.

"How is it going?" Viktor asked as he walked into the lab with Jayce trailing behind him, carrying a box of supplies. "I'm doing good, what's in the box?" Elvira responded dryly while fiddling with her pen. "I'm gonna hold the opening speech for the progress days, and Viktor and I are gonna present the hexgems," Jayce explained as he placed the box down on the kitchen table. 

"Oh, that's right. I forgot that the progress days were right around the corner," Elvira looked back down at her blueprints. "What are you working on?" Viktor asked as he walked up behind her. "Nothing special," Elvira said as she quickly took a clear piece of paper, to cover her blueprints. 

She had been working on a weapon. A small gun, concealed by a wrist guard. Now that her magic was gone, she felt helpless. Even though she knew how to fight, her body was still weak and she was still advised to not push her body for another month. "Oh, ok," Viktor said, knowing not to push it.

He had noticed her personality disappearing more and more since her surgery, and he didn't know why. He didn't wanna ask either, as he was afraid she would break the little sanity she had left if he were to push her to share something she was not comfortable sharing. So he let her be.

"You'll listen to my speech, right?" Jayce asked from the other side of the lab. "I guess," she replied dryly again, causing Jayce to frown at her dullness. "You need to talk about what's bothering you at some point Elvira," he walked over to where she and Viktor were sitting, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No I don't," she deadpanned.

"You should see a therapist, maybe they can help yo..." "I don't need help!" she snapped, dragging her hand across the desk, scattering the papers on the floor. Jayce looked at her shocked, and Viktor had flinched slightly at her outburst, but Elvira was breathing heavily, trying to compose herself a little.

"I lost my magic, ok?" she admitted, her eyes watering. "After the surgery. I lost my magic. Or I lost the source of my magic. I used to pull the magic from the life essence, which was the heart. But ever since I lost it, I don't have anything to pull the magic from. I lost myself," she said as tears ran down her face.

"Your magic doesn't define who you are though, you don't need it to be happy!" Jayce argued, but Elvira laughed at his naiveness. "My magic is the only thing I had left connecting be to my mother. All my life I've been healing and helping people, and now I can't do that anymore. Sure, I could work as a medic, but that is not the same. I will still have to watch people die, knowing that I could have saved them if I had my magic."

Viktor and Jayce looked at Elvira, as the room filled with uncomfortable silence. Neither of them knew what to say, as they had never been in a situation like that themselves, and couldn't understand how she felt, or what she needed to hear. 

So they just stood in silence. 

Later that day, Viktor had offered to show her a place where he usually goes when he needs to think. They walked through the busy streets of Piltover together and talked about the progress days. 

"So you're presenting the hexgems in a few days, how do you feel about that?" she asked Viktor as they made their way to the undercity. "I think it will be a good thing. I'm looking forward to getting it out there, you know, I feel like it will evolve Piltover greatly," Viktor said.

Elvira studied the look he had on his face, showing off that he was proud of his and Jayce's work. It made Elvira happy to know that her friends were going places. But it also reminded her that she probably wasn't.