29

Elvira woke up feeling a heavy weight on her chest. She tried to sit up but hissed in pain as she felt a stabbing sensation in her entire upper body. "You're awake," someone spoke, and Elvira looked to her side to see Viktor sitting in one of the chairs next to her bed. She was in a hospital. 

She was connected to wires and wrapped in bandages to the point where she could barely move. "How are you feeling?" he asked her while pressing one of the buttons next to her bed, alerting the staff. "Heavy and in pain," Elvira eventually said, her chest making at every breath.

"That is to be expected." Elvira carefully brought her hand up to her chest and laid her hand over her heart. "What happened?" "Your heart stopped. So we had to find someone in a hurry who would risk their careers to perform the heart transplant," Viktor explained. "You were able to find someone that fast?" Elvira asked shocked. "Eh, I had someone in mind. Someone who is known for performing unauthorized medical experiments. And because of his shady reputation, Aya and I were supervising the procedure." 

"I see. Thank you," she smiled as she tried to reach over to hold onto his hand, but the pain in her ribs prevented her from doing so. "You should try not to move at all, you did have your ribs broken apart very recently," Viktor sarcastically said, to which Elvira rolled her eyes. "I'm fine," she protested, but Viktor stood up from his seat. "I am serious."

The door to the room opened and revealed Aya and Jayce, a relieved look on both their faces. "Elvira," Aya breathed out, before walking over to her bed, looking over Elvira to make sure everything was as it should. 

"I'm fine, I just feel very tired," Elvira reassured Aya, who looked both concerned and guilty. "You should rest," Viktor suggested,  looking at Jayce and Aya, signaling them to leave the room. "Yeah, I think that's the best idea," Elvira agreed and said goodbye to everyone. 

After they all left, Viktor, Aya, and Jayce all went to the lab to talk about a really serious topic. "I spoke with Heimerdinger a few moments ago," Jayce said as they had all sat down. "What did he want?" Aya asked, noticing Jayce's tense shoulders. "He knows that someone performed an unauthorized procedure in our hospital, and he knows it was on Elvira. The council is currently deciding what to do about the situation, but they don't know who did it or who was behind it," Jayce explained. 

"Shit," Viktor cursed, and Aya clenched her fists at her side. "What are we gonna do about it?" she asked. "We have to take the blame somehow, we can't snitch on the surgeon after he risked his career to help Elvira," Jayce argued, and Viktor was analyzing the situation. "I will take the blame." Jayce looked at Viktor, shocked at what he had said. "No way, you might get exiled from Piltover," he argued, but Viktor had made up his mind. "I don't care, I will do it no matter what you say," Viktor looked straight at Jayce when he spoke, with newfound confidence. 

"We still have time to figure this out," Jayce said, before standing up and starting to pace back and forth in the lab.

A week later Elvira was back on her feet but was instructed to take it easy. She didn't waste any time before she was back in her lab, working on her stuff again, Aya helping her. "How do you feel by the way?" Aya asked as she sat down at the desk next to Elvira. "I feel fine, I'm very sore, but that is to be expected," Elvira said as she tapped her pencil on the table. 

"Are you going to go back to using your magic like before, or are you gonna take it a little more easy?" Elvira stopped tapping her pen as she thought over how to respond to that question. She had felt off since the surgery, but she could never put her finger on why that was. "I don't know, I haven't used my magic since I came back," she said before she placed her pen down on the table. 

She grabbed the pencil sharpener and sharpened her pencil. "Maybe you should just test it out? Just to see how it feels?" Aya suggested, but Elvira was already on it. She took the freshly sharpened pencil and pricked her finger. When a tiny droplet of blood formed on the tip of her finger, she focused on her magic, to try and heal it.

But nothing happened.

She tried harder and focused so much that she forgot to breathe, causing her to get lightheaded. "Woah, easy," Aya said as she placed her hands on Elvira's shoulders to steady her. "It won't work," Elvira said frustrated, as she kept staring at her pricked finger. "Maybe if you try to heal me?" Aya suggested, before picking up the pencil and pricking her own finger. 

"Go on, try it," she held her finger out to Elvira, who hesitantly hovered her hand above it, trying to heal it. 

Still nothing.

"It's gone, my magic is gone!" she panicked, before standing up too quickly, causing her incisions to hurt. Aya didn't know how to react, so she just looked at Elvira, who was freaking out. "My magic," Elvira cried, and Aya rolled her chair over to Elvira, and pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she hugged her friend, feeling bad for her friend's loss. 

Elvira broke down crying, feeling like she lost the only thing she had left of her mother. The magic she had taught her when she was young, and the healing she had been able to do because of it.