9

Elvira stood outside two tall and wide doors. She was scared shitless, and her pulse was beating hard against her ribcage, but she knew this was something she had to do, even though she didn't want to. Really didn't want to. 

She raised her hand and knocked three times against the door, making sure her knock was firm. She straightened her back as she heard someone approach the doors, and then they swung open slowly to reveal a woman. She was missing an arm, and she looked down at Elvira. After looking Elvira up and down, she moved aside to let her through. 

She walked into the room, and when she stopped in front of the desk, she looked down at the man sitting there, before she slowly reached up to remove her mask. "The sparrow," he greeted her while folding his hands on the table. 

"Silco," she greeted him back before sitting down in the empty chair. "I hear words on the streets about your work, but you're from topside, aren't you? Why would someone like you, care for the people in the undercity?" he asked her while staring at her, almost like he was trying to read her thoughts. 

"This place isn't the only place in Runeterra where people suffer," she started, feeling herself calm slightly. Silco reminded her of what she was fighting for. To end poverty and suffering, and she knew that even though he cared for the people of Zaun, he didn't. Not really. 

"I have a proposal." "Oh, do tell," Silco was intrigued. "I am a scientist. I am working on machines that will clean up the air and water here in Zaun, filtering out the gasses and chemicals and turning them into fuel. But most people in Piltover aren't interested in wasting their money or resources on the undercity, so I come to you," she leaned back in the chair, faking confidence. On the inside, she was screaming.

Silco thought about what she had said for a few seconds before speaking up. "And what would I gain from this partnership?" he asked and Elvira cursed herself in her mind. She hadn't thought this far. "You will get clean air and water in your establishments, and you'll get to see your people live healthier lives," she said, regretting using such a harsh tone.

"And if I don't?" he then asked. "Well too bad, I will continue my work, but you won't get access to it," she simply stated, keeping eye contact with Silco to show that she wasn't scared of him. She was more scared of the woman standing by the door, and the other people working for Silco, but not of him.  

"I have more important matters to worry about than some science dream, but I will give you access to a scrap pile. Consider it a gift," he said, before picking up a cigar and lighting it. "Perfect," she smirked before standing up, gripping her mask in her hands. 

"Nice ashtray," she nodded to the ashtray before Silco, which was covered in crayon doodles. The woman snarled at her comment, but Elvira just turned her gaze towards her.  "I shall take my leave," Elvira said as she walked over to the door, but the woman extended her arm to block Elvira's path. 

Elvira slowly turned her face towards her and glared at her. The look Elvira was sending her could kill, and if she pushed her any further, she probably would. With all the death Elvira had seen during her childhood, she was pretty desensitized to it. Her heart hurt for the innocent who died, but she didn't even flinch at the death of cruel selfish people. 

"Sevika," Silco warned, and she retracted her arm, letting Elvira through. She smirked at her before placing her mask back over her face, and then she walked out. 

When she got back to her workshop, Powder was gone, and there was a little device sitting on her desk. She walked closer to inspect it and saw that it was an automatic pencil sharpener. But what caught her eye, was the crayon doodles covering the device. "So that's who she needed space from," she chuckled to herself before picking up the invention and putting it in her pocket. 

She made her way over to the sanctuary and saw Ash sitting on one of the roots of the tree that was growing there. Ever since Elvira found this place, she had been doing research on the tree and making sure it didn't die. There were lots of people of all types living here, and she would always pay them a visit when she was in Zaun to either heal them, answer questions, teach the young ones to read, or just relax. 

Here you could be yourself not having to worry about manners, how you look, or what you say. In Piltover, and especially as a scientist at the academy, you had to always look, act and be the best version of yourself. 

"Sparrow!" one of the kids yelled as she walked over to the little workbench there. One of the boys there, around Powders' age, had grown very fond of Elvira, due to his interest in tinkering. She would teach him tips and tricks and also help him when he was stuck. But he was way smarter than the piltovan kids his age. As was Powder. 

"Hello Ekko, how are you today," she smiled after she placed her mask on the workbench. "I made something really cool!" he grinned as he showed her a huge board. "Oh, cool! Um, what is it?" "It's a hoverboard! See!" he explained as he placed the board on the ground, pressed a button, and stepped on it. 

The board started slowly levitating, due to the fans pushing air out underneath it, but the board was unstable so it flew out from underneath his feet, causing the board to fly straight into a wall, and Ekko string onto his bum. 

"It definitely needs some work and adjustments, but that's really good!" Elvira praised him and motioned for him to put the board onto the workbench so she could have a look at it.

They worked on the board for three days straight, and Elvira figured it was time to head back to topside so her friends wouldn't be worried. Even though the only one who doesn't know where she went every time she disappeared, was Viktor, and partly Jayce. She had told Jayce of her frequent visits to the undercity, so he was well aware, but he didn't know the full extent of what she was doing there. If he found out about her meeting with Silco, she know that he wouldn't hesitate to lock her inside her lab, preventing her from putting herself in more danger.

She tried to be sneaky on her way into her apartment, but when she turned on the lights, she was met with an angry-looking Jayce, a worried-looking Aya, and an intrigued-looking Viktor sitting in her living room. 

"Welcome home," Jayce said sarcastically, and Elvira let out a heavy groan as she walked past them into her bedroom. "I need a shower," she stated before any of them could say anything. "Yes you do, you smell foul," Jayce snapped and Elvira grabbed her shoe and threw it at Jayce's head before disappearing inside her bathroom.