18

Elvira had gone out after her breakdown since she needed to check on the sanctuary. She promised Ekko she would help him work on the firelight hoverboards, and she always kept her promises. The way to the sanctuary seemed way longer than usual, mostly because Viktor was following behind her. 

He had told her that he wanted to see what she was doing down here whenever she disappeared, and the first stop was the sanctuary. "Sparrow!" Ekko yelled excitedly as he ran towards the entrance. He stopped before Elvira, they did their little handshake that they had come up with together before he looked up at Viktor.

"You brought your boyfriend?" Ekko asked and Elvira felt her face go red. "He is not my boyfriend, thank you very much. He's my friend and lab partner. This is Viktor," she motioned to Viktor who awkwardly waved to Ekko. "This is Ekko," she motioned to Ekko who just looked at Viktor as if he had three heads. "I didn't know you had friends," Ekko then said, earning him a slap to the back of his head. "Ey!" he yelled after Elvira, who flipped him off before walking off to her little workshop. 

"He's a nice kid, I promise," Elvira chuckled as she placed her mask on the workbench she had in the lab. "And what is this place?" he asked as he looked around the small room. "This is kinda my office here. I heal people in here, I use the workbench to work on gadgets and to make medicine, and it's also a perfect hiding place when I play hide and seek with the kids here," she smiled as she pointed to the couch in the corner, and lifted up one of the pillows to reveal a secret room inside the sofa.

"Ash actually made that for me when I started coming here more often. The enforcers often come here to see if they can arrest someone, and since I'm not really supposed to be here, he built it so I could hide," she explained before placing the pillow back down.

"I heard my name?" the tall boy spoke from the doorway to the office, causing Elvira to jump in surprise. "Speak of the devil," she muttered before turning to look at her visitor. "I didn't think you'd be coming until tomorrow?" Ash asked as he walked inside the room, noticing Viktor. "And you brought your boyfriend," he stated, causing Elvira to groan. "Why does everyone say that," she sighed before walking past Ash and towards the exit. 

"You two get to know each other while I go find Ekko," she said before leaving. "And play nice!" she yelled from outside the room. "Was she talking to me or to you?" Ash raised his eyebrows at Viktor, who only nodded. "Not sure," he said before sitting down on the sofa Elvira had just shown him. 

"So you're not her boyfriend?" Ash then asked as he leaned against the wall. "No." "Yet," Ash winked at him. "Excuse me?" Viktor said, looking at the smug boy standing in front of him. "Not her boyfriend yet. I mean look at her, she's a good-looking woman, and you must be blind not to think so," Ash wiggled his eyebrows, trying to look cool. 

"And why should that matter?" Viktor asked, clearly lying. He knew that he had developed an unhealthy fascination with Elvira ever since the hextech celebration. He found himself thinking of the dress she wore, and how her hair was done. How graceful she looked while talking with the people around the party, and how he noticed the faint freckles on her nose when they were talking. He damned himself and his damn emotions for developing a crush on her. He didn't have time for this.

"She's beautiful, she's smart, she's kind, I mean what's not to love?" Ash went on describing Elvira's good features. "Why aren't you her boyfriend?" Viktor turned Ash's stupid question back on himself, tired of this conversation already. "You're right, I should totally shoot my shot," Ash smirked as he ran his hand through his black wavy hair, pushing it out of his face.

Viktor felt his chest tighten at the thought of Ash and Elvira together, and he had to clench his fists to keep himself from saying something stupid. 

"Are both of you still alive in here?" Elvira asked before she walked into the room, immediately calming Viktor's mind. Ekko trailed behind her, and Ash slowly made his way towards Elvira before he pushed her against the wall, placing one hand on each side of her face, trapping her. He smirked at her before licking his lips seductively and almost purring into her ear. 

"Let's me take you out sometime, and I'll show you a good time," he said loud enough for Viktor to hear. "How about I take you out? Right now, with my fist?" Elvira smirked back, and Ash chuckled. "I like my women feisty," he said before removing his hands, letting her go. 

"They do that all the time," Ekko sighed as he sat down next to Viktor on the couch. "I'm surprised she hasn't actually punched him yet," he added, and Viktor imagined Elvira beating Ash up. Viktor wasn't a violent person, but he did enjoy that vision in his head.

Ash eventually left, and Elvira and Ekko were tinkering with the boards while Viktor was wandering around the area, amazed by the place. After Elvira was done with Ekko, she had found him and they had walked back to Elvira's place. She had made them a salad to eat, as it was getting late and they hadn't eaten in a long time. 

"So what are you gonna do?" Viktor asked Elvira once they were both done eating. "I don't know," she replied honestly. "I have to run some errands with Ash tomorrow, but..." "No, I mean what are you gonna do about your condition. You know, your heart," he asked and her face fell. "Oh."

"I don't know to be honest. I'm just gonna hold on for as long as possible," she tried to force a smile to make the situation less scary. "I won't let that happen," he interrupted her again. "What?" "I said I won't let that happen. Someone as pure and kind as you should not have to wither away because you chose to help others," he argued, sadness filling his own heart, causing his eyes to glaze. These stupid emotions, he thought as he fought for control. 

"Why won't you see a doctor about it? I'm sure there are plenty of things they could do for you?" he asked. Elvira just shook her head. "Why?" "Because of my magic. You know that they would look for the cause of the damage to my heart, and they would treat me differently after they find out. It's much harsher in Piltover, it's better in Zaun. At least here magic is way more normal than up there," she tried to explain, but Viktor didn't understand. 

"I will figure something out, I promise," he said as he stood up. Viktor picked up his cane before slowly making his way towards the door. "Jayce has sent a letter to your father about your condition," he started but had to take a break to swallow the lump that formed in his throat at what his next words were gonna be.

"I think you should travel home for a bit," he finally said, instantly regretting his words. "What?" she asked him, standing up herself. "Ionia is full of magic, isn't it? You would at least not get any worse there while I think of something. And if you were to... pass away, wouldn't you want to say goodbye to your home?" he turned to look at her. 

"This is home. You, Jayce, Aya, all my friends here in Zaun, this is home," she argued but Viktor wasn't having it. "I know, but I just don't want to lose you," he said in despair, trying to fight off the intrusive and scary thoughts pushing their way inside his mind. "You're not gonna lose me," she argued, but Viktor clenched his fist at his side, trying really hard not to punch the wall in frustration.

"Yes, I am! You're gonna continue using your magic, and I don't blame you, you're doing an amazing job here in Zaun! But you're going to waste away until all that is left of you, and of Sparrow, are your legacy and that mask of yours. And I don't wanna lose you, because you mean too much to me so please! Just please, I'm begging you," Viktor looked down in shame. He never begged. He never lost his temper, and he tried so hard to let his emotions take control over him. But she was making it all so damn hard. 

"Ok."

"Ok?"

"I'll leave."