24

"This is stupid!" Viktor complained as he threw another failed invention across the room, causing a rather loud bang for such a small device. "Viktor, I know you're frustrated, but you need to keep calm," Jayce walked over to his friend, trying to calm down the poor man. 

Viktor looked up at Jayce, who flinched at his sudden movement. Viktor had dark and heavy bags under his eyes, letting everyone who saw him (which wasn't a lot, since he almost never left the lab,) know that he hadn't been sleeping nearly as much as he should. 

"She had been gone for a year already, and we are not even close to an idea that will work," Viktor yelled, causing Jayce to flinch slightly again. Jayce hadn't been sleeping much either, and neither had Aya. They had all been working non-stop on different ways to try and help Elvira, but none of them had come close to a solution. 

Viktor had been switching between helping Aya with the elixir she and Elvira were working on, and helping Jayce with both hextech and they had all been brainstorming. But Viktor had spent many nights in the lab working on something that he and had argued over quite a lot over the past 6 months, but Viktor went behind Jayce's back to complete it. 

"Jayce, she needs to replace her heart with a new one," Viktor had suggested during one of their brainstorm sessions about 5 months after Elvira had left them. 

"Sure, let me go to the store and buy one then, I'll be right back," Jayce said sarcastically to Viktor, who gave him a nasty look in return. "I am being serious."

"And where would we find a new heart for her?" Jayce asked with a rude tone in his voice while looking at Viktor, expecting a stupid answer. "We make one." 

"Make one? Is that even ethical?" Jayce said as he looked at Viktor like he was crazy. "Why wouldn't it be? A robotic heart would work much better than a real heart would anyway, it's more efficient and won't waste away from disease," Viktor shrugged. "We can't replace all broken body parts with machines Viktor!" Jayce argued rubbing his face in frustration. 

"Besides, who would even put it in her? We aren't doctors, and no surgeon in Piltover would want to risk their career for something so uncertain!" Jayce added. "And I sure as hell won't risk Elvira's life just to shove a piece of metal in her chest!"

"A piece of metal? Jayce, we are two of Piltover's smartest inventors, don't you think we could manage to create a working metal heart?" Viktor asked Jayce. "I actually do believe we would be able to do it, but I'm not risking her life to test that theory."

"We need to come up with something that will keep her heart going from the outside," Jayce had started pacing the room again, letting Viktor know he didn't want to talk about the robotic heart anymore. 

"Viktor, I know you miss her, but..." "Don't you?" Viktor snapped. "I do, but I get how you feel. I know that you two grew close before she left, and I know she made your days a little better, because I can see how you're hurting yourself by overworking your body and mind just to find a way to help her, but you need to stop," Jayce walked over to Viktors desk, and leaned against it while looking at his partner. 

"She's a strong woman, and I know we only told her to stay for a year, but she wouldn't be dumb enough to come back before we tell her to. So please just relax, and try to calm your mind. A stressed mind is a weak mind," Jayce tried to reason with Viktor, but he had tried that so many times before, and he knew it didn't help. 

Viktor ignored Jayce, looked down at his notes again, and waited for Jayce to leave. Once he heard the door shut, he opened the secret compartment of his desk and took out a metal device, about the size of his wrist. He placed it onto the desk, and ran his fingers across the smooth shiny surface, humming to himself while admiring his work.

"I'm so close to finishing your heart Elvira, I just need a few more months," he spoke to himself before fishing out the papers and blueprints of the heart. He looked over them one last time before he connected it to the water pipes he had set up, to simulate the veins and blood that the heart needed to pump. 

The heart was almost perfect, the only problem Viktor had was that he didn't know how to connect the heart to her veins. It wasn't exactly a lot of research done on how to fuse metal and flesh, so Viktor was all on his own.

But he was determined to figure this out, however long it would take.

While Viktor was working himself ragged, trying to save her life, Elvira was growing stronger in every way over in Ionia. She had been working with the flower vastaya to strengthen her spiritual connections, and she had been training her body with Akali. 

The spirit blossom festival was closing in on them, and Elvira was going to walk the spirit realm during the festival, to see her past and future, and hopefully gain some knowledge on what her purpose was. 

"Elvira?" Sol spoke from the opening to Elvira's room. Elvira was sewing her ceremonial outfit for the spiritual walk and was sitting cross-legged against the wall on the floor. "Oh, hello Sol," Elvira greeted her, before carefully setting the dress aside to give her visitor her full attention. 

"Elv sent me to see how you're doing with the dress, as the festival is a week from now," Sol walked into the room as she spoke. "I'm almost done. Just need to do some more embroidery around the neckline, and then it's finished," Elvira smiled before standing up. 

"Are you nervous?" Sol asked. "Of course I am! I have been away from Ionia for so long, I'm scared I've lost my spiritual connection. And I know we've been working on strengthening it together, but still. I don't like not being in control of the situation," Elvira admitted, and Sol placed a warm hand on her shoulder. 

"Don't worry about that. Akali had said the same thing a few weeks after you both had arrived here," Sol started but stopped speaking when she hears someone clear their throat behind her, in the doorway. "Talking about me?" Akali asked them as she walked into the room, looking suspiciously at Sol. 

"Nope!" Sol squeaked, but Akali only chuckled at her. "I overheard," she shook her head before looking over at Elvira. "I was scared that the blood that was shed by my hand had tainted me and separated me from my spirituality. But that wasn't the case, because as long as my heart was willing, the soul and spirit would follow," Akali smiled at Elvira. "Don't worry about it," she comforted her friend, who gave her a warm smile in return. "Thank you."

"Besides, if you're so nervous about it, maybe go meditate? That always helps," Sol suggested, and Elvira thought over it. She had been sitting in her dark room working on her dress for so long, she could use the fresh air. "I think I will do that actually," she nodded before walking out of the room, both girls following her. 

"I didn't know there was possible to have two shadows," Elvira said, hitting at Sol and Akali who was walking so close that they both almost crashed into Elvira's back when she stopped. "I don't know about Sol, but I only walk so close to you because you are so fucking slow, and I don't have time for this," Akali defended herself, before looking at Sol, expecting her explanation. 

"I just like humans," she shrugged. "Why?" Elvira laughed. "You're so fascinating! Humans and vastaya are so similar, but so different at the same time as well." "I see, that makes sense," Elvira admitted and looked over at Akali, who was picking out dirt from under her nails with one of her blades. "That is disgusting," Elvira shuddered. 

Akali flicked her blade, causing the dirt to splat onto the ground, before winking at Elvira and walking away. Elvira made sure to walk around where Akali flicked her dirt and made her way over to the pond in the forest where she had been meditating since she came her months ago. This was also where she would be doing her spirit walk, so maybe it would ease her fear of failure as well. 

She sat down in front of the pond and looked out at the glowing flora surrounding the pond, and the mossy rocks around the water. "I miss you all," she spoke into the night, thinking about her friends and family back in Piltover and Zaun. 

"I'll see you all soon."