33

A/N: I just wanted to say that my heart breaks for the Ukrainian people! If any of you have any extra money, please consider donating! Or even spread the word, so we can all try to help as much as we can! Of course, don't feel pressured to donate, this is ONLY if you can!
https://donate.unhcr.org/int/en/ukraine-emergency?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmeKQBhDvARIsAHJ7mF4TLAal6xkJg5dtR0pL48IOEhT1pyHux-9t4czG0EGkN1Zww-Pd0_UaAhEVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And also, please please don't send hate to Russian creators or Russian people, they want nothing to do with this war! We need to all be as kind and compassionate in this situation!

Viktor got released from the hospital the day after, and he was sitting in his and Jayce's lab, looking over the hexcore, which now looked a little different than the last time he saw it. 

"Knock knock," Jayce said from the door before he walked over to where Viktor was sitting. "How are you feeling?" he asked, and Viktor only looked up at him for a second before returning his attention to the core. 

"I am feeling sick, how are you feeling Jayce? Did you get to fuck Mel today too?" Viktor asked sarcastically, and Jayce just let out a heavy sigh but didn't say anything else. He knew he deserved Viktor's attitude. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't here," he admitted, and Viktor just snorted. "You've not really been doing much regarding the hextech lately, have you?" "Not directly, but I've been gaining investors and supporters, that's important too you know," Jayce argued.

"Doesn't help if you don't have anything for them to invest in, I am doing almost all the work, while you're off sleeping around," Viktor rubbed his temples, as he felt himself getting more and more annoyed with the situation. 

"I know you're frustrated, but just li..." "No, Jayce. I don't have the energy to listen to your whining. Please just get to work," Viktor said before he started tinkering with the hexcore again.

"Ok," Jayce said before picking up some papers and getting to work. 

After a long hour of work, Jayce put down his papers and looked at Viktor, who was focused on his own work. "Viktor?" he asked carefully, testing to see if Viktor is still pissed. "What?" he answered a little aggressively.

"I'm worried about Elvira, she's been distant lately. Very distant," Jayce started, and Viktor looked up from his work at the mention of Elvira's name. "She lost her magic, of course, she will be distant," he stated as he put his own work down, before straightening his back. 

"Well yes, but Aya told me that Elvira has covered all the mirrors in their apartment, avoiding her own reflection at all costs. She's losing her sanity, I'm worried for her." "And what do you want me to do about that?" Viktor snapped.

"I know you care about her just as much as I do, so you can at least put your own problems aside for a second and try to help me help her!" Jayce argued, getting frustrated with the whole situation. 

"The academy is out for my ass Jayce because I saved her life! I created that heart, unauthorized, and when they figure that out, I'm getting kicked out of the academy. I think I've done enough to help her, don't you think?" he shouted in a whisper, in case anyone was outside their lab, listening. He was paranoid lately, ever since he got word of the academy's investigation on him. 

But he was only putting on an act now. He would never stop helping her whenever she needed it, and he knew from her reaction to finding out how ill he was, that she felt the same. And that hurt him more than anything, to watch her take this out on herself, all because she doesn't have her magic to heal him with any more. 

"That's a lie, and you know it!" Jayce walked closer to Viktor's face. "I do not care about your own feelings towards Elvira, but don't you ever say something like that about her, after all she's done for you! Not even as a joke!" Jayce yelled at Viktor, before walking out of the lab, face red from anger. 

Viktor knew it was true, and he needed to speak with Elvira. He needed to explain to her that she didn't have to feel responsible for not being able to help him. He grabbed his cane, got up, and headed towards her apartment.

When Viktor got to Elvira and Aya's apartment, he heard sniffling inside and hesitantly lifted his hand to knock on the door. "Hello?" he asked through the door before he heard shuffling on the other side. 

The door opened to reveal Aya's red face and puffy eyes, clutching a piece of paper close to her chest. "Hi Viktor," she said as her eyes glazed over again before she stepped aside to let him inside. 

"Are you ok?" he asked her, and she only shook her head in response. She walked over to the kitchen table, picked up an envelope with Viktor's name on it, and handed it to him. 

"I got home earlier today from spending the night at Estrid's place. The place was empty, but there were three envelopes on the table, with my name, your name, and Jayce's name on them," Aya explained as Viktor sat down on one of the comfy chairs, resting his cane against the armrest.

"She left," Aya said before her tears fell freely again. Viktor froze at the words, replaying them over in his head. She left?

His finger ran through the seal of the envelope, ripping it open and pulling out the letter inside, the ink smeared in some places, revealing that she wrote this in a hurry, not letting the ink dry before putting it in the envelope. 

Dear Viktor

I am so sorry you're finding this out through a letter, but I couldn't face you before doing what I am intending to do. Aya told me about the investigation the council is doing on the unauthorized experiments and creation of the heart that now resides in my body, and that they intend to exile the culprit.

I could never sit back and watch as you get exiled from the academy for saving my life, especially not after I was unable to save yours, so this is my way of repaying you. By the time you have read this letter, I have admitted my crimes to the council and will be on my way.

I made sloppy copies of your blueprints of the heart, which I will show the council as proof, and I ask of you to please not interfere and let me do this for you. And for Jayce.

I have no purpose now that my magic is gone, and this is the only way for me to repay you all for what you have risked for me, so allow me.

I will forever cherish the time we spent together, and I will look forward to seeing you again, which I know we will. And before I end this letter, I just wanted to say that after knowing you for years and working beside you on bettering the undercity with my inventions, I have grown to love you.

And regardless if my love is requited or not, you will forever hold a special place in my heart, even if it's made of steel. I love you Viktor, and I wish we had more time to explore that love, but the world is cruel.

Please continue to create and make the world a better place, for me.

Until we meet again, yours truly. Elvira Tallis.