Chapter 9

*EDITED*

(Really short chapter, I apologize)

Don't forget to favorite!

Luke

I've been staring at Hayven for a while. She's just so pretty. Her hair brushed her little dimpled, freckled face as the wind blew across her and her horse. Hitting every target with a thump. You can tell she has been practicing for a long time. She notices me staring, I try to look away fast, but I was too late. I was waiting for a death glare, but instead I got a piercing white smile. That completed the whole picture for me. I knew in that second I was in love. I don't have time for love in the world we live now, but I can't just ignore her.

Something else gets my attention. A shadow passes my feet. I thought it was mine for a second, considering that the sun is low and hot. When the shadow moved, it moved fast. I grab at my knife that is hanging peacefully at my belt. I follow the shadow, running down the fresh grass. I walk down the small hill, hearing footsteps. I stop to listen and everything is quiet. Then I hear it. A bush rustle. I didn't see the shadow anymore. Then I see a figure run across the corner of my eye and I fling my knife, towards the moving figure. I hear a scream and now harder footsteps. I look over to see where my knife hit, and I saw it planted into a tree. I ran as fast as I can over to the knife, pulling it out of the tree and walk quietly towards the sound of breathing.