Chapter 26

Hayven's POV

The dark sky tells tales of the creatures at night. A little girl yells for her mom, running for her life. The trees surround her. Engulfing her in the darkness. All I see is the little girl screaming. I want to help her, I need to help her. Crowds of walkers come out of the shadows, chasing after the scared little girl. Her blonde hair is covered in blood. Her clothes ripped. She looks so helpless. I can feel her pain, her courage. Her courage of making it through this life.

"Mommy?" She screams.

I had the urge to call back, to let her know someone was here for her. I tried. Nothing came. I couldn't talk, couldn't walk, couldn't move anything. I hear the groans all around her. She cries out for help, her mom no where to be found. And just like that, she's gone. Her body being torn limb by limb. Blood everywhere, the stench of rotten flesh in the air. That's all I saw last of my sister.

I jolt awake, my body sweaty. Tears stream down my face as I remember my sister. She was only five when her life was taken from her. She died in a car crash along with my mom. My dad and I made it through though. I went off on my own, my dad staying where he was. I slowly pick myself up off the bed and walk outside my cell room.

I needed fresh air, badly. I open the prison doors and a rush of wind hit my face. It felt refreshing and cool. I closed my eyes, imagining my sister, my mom, out happy family. My arms wrap around my cold body. I honestly didn't care if it was cold out here. If I didn't hear the groans and moans of walkers I would have swore it was a normal life. I take in the prison's appearance. We can survive here. I know it.

The sound of boots crunching on the gravel fill my ears. My head turns to see Oliver. His hair was thrown messily on his head as usual--nothing out of place.

"Can't sleep?" His voice was raspy and tired.

"Yeah, bad dream," I give him a weak smile.

"Wanna talk about it?" He returns the smile.

"My sister. She was only five," Tears roll down my face.

He engulfs me in a hug, "I'm so sorry."

I cry softly into him, my words barely spoken, "Sh-she died in a car crash two years ago. My mom was gone too."

"Sh, it's okay," He pulls me closer to him. I felt his caring. It calmed me.

"Bu-t this dream was different. S-he was torn limb by-" I couldn't say it. It hurt so much.

"You don't have to say anything. It's okay."

We just stood there. Me crying into his shoulder, him holding me. It felt peaceful.

He lifts my head up, "No more crying okay? We don't wanna ruin that pretty face of yours."

I laugh at him trying to lighten the mood, it worked. Our faces were inches apart. I could feel his breath of my face.

I can't love him.

I can't. it's not right.

Two boys, one heart. Oh no.